In Sump Skimmer Fitment Problems

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Ok so I purchased the Aqueon Proflex Sump.

I also purchased a protein skimmer to go in the sump.

Well I also bought a Mag 9.5 water pump.

I cannot fit both in the sump together. It is pretty much one or the other.

Now even if I could fit them both in the last section of the sump wouldn't that be an issue since the Mag 9.5 will pump more water than the skimmer is putting back out.

Also wouldn't the Mag be pumping water before the skimmer can even clean it if they are both in the same section.

I wanted to make the center a refugium and then use the skimmer afterward and of course use the Mag 9.5 to pump water back to the tank.

I have seen a few online and the pump and the skimmer were in the same last spot on the sump. This Mag has a huge black foam filter on it that is mostly why they both won't fit in the last chamber together.

As you can see there is a lot of text I wrote but the problem is not that complicated for someone who knows what to do.

Like is the black filter really needed on the Mag 9.5?
Is it a bad idea to have a stronger pump in the same spot as the skimmer or do I use a gate valve on the rerun to slow it down a bit or rely on the bulkhead to do it automaticaly s I was told it can only pass through 600GPH at the size it is..

Any help I thank you for ahead of time.

Uh yeah I was double checking what I thought I was setting up and it appears I made a mistake.

It seems most skimmers are placed either in the second chamber or sit outside and dump the water back into the first chamber.

I am gethering the skimmer and return pump should not be in the same last section although I have seen it setup that way.

If you were going to have a refugium, the skimmer should go before the refugium, not after it. The standard 3-section sump goes like this: 1. skimmer, 2. refugium, 3. return pump.

That black foam filter is not necessary for the Mag. You can pull it off if it will make it fit.

Keep in mind, the section that holds your return pump is going to have a constantly changing water level, because that's where all the evaporation takes place from. Most skimmers won't work if they are kept in changing water levels -- they will only work if water level is kept constant. That is why skimmers are usually in first section of the sump, where the water level stays constant at all times.

It doesn't matter if the return pump is taking water away before the skimmer can get to it. The skimmer doesn't clean 100% of the water that passes by it -- only a portion.

You will need to put a ball valve after the return pump no matter what you do. You will likely have to dial it down to match the rate of flow of the overflow.

Good luck!

Ok here is the video I am talking about.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYj7PQzl4cY&feature=related]YouTube - ProFlex Modular Sump Refugium Setup[/ame]

There just is no room for the skimmer and the Mag.

If you watch this video it makes you think the skimmer will return to the tank.

I never thought it would but it looks like it.

I can't really put the skimmer into the first chamber as the lid is plexiglass that is part of the box.

I saw a guy who drilled his sump and had it on the outside and it dumped the water to the refugium. Not directly but on the top of the socks.

I saw a guy who drilled his sump and had it on the outside and it dumped the water to the refugium. Not directly but on the top of the socks.

Not all skimmers can be run that way, most need to be in the sump to function. You need to have a recirculating skimmer if you want it to sit outside of your sump.

Yes this can go in or out but I want it in the sump. I will either have to figure it out or have to hang it. I will make a stand before I hang it though. I wish I could just slap a square plexiglass box and just have the return from the skimmed hang into it. I have the room in the stand.

witch model sump did you get the model 1,2,3 or 4 ? i sell and install the aqueon sumps wher i work the skimmer goes in the first chamber and just dont but the top on it

Even if you take the black sponge off the Mag, it still won't fit? Was this skimmer and pump combination recommended for that particular sump?

Ok.

It is a Aqueon Model 2.

This is the exact skimmer recommended from the manufacturer. Same make and model.

I can put the skimmer in chamber 1 and I cannot take of the top as it is glue together and there are 2 bags in there along with the water coming from the tank.

Here is someones video of their set up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftj4ErLhBjY]YouTube - My Proflex Aqueon Refugium[/ame]

My skimmer is like 3 times that big.

If this is the skimmer they recommended for that model, I'd give the manufacturer a call on Monday. It should fit. And if they said it fits and it doesn't, maybe they can walk you through it.

The skimmer does fit by itself. I could not fit the water pump. Now it was my decision to use the Mag 9.5 because it seemed right for the set up.

I took the sump and put it on my counter and looked at it carefully. I managed to fit the water pump into the sump but let's put it this way. You can't see where the skimmer and pump separate. I mean the are snug as a bug. I hope this doesn't cause issues.

I am going to take a picture in a few and post it on my own website so you can see the snugness and you will probably be able to get a better idea.

I am going to use my webspace from now on to make it easier to get help from you guys who are very helpful. Thanks

Ok so I just took a few cuz I wanted a decent little page. I will probboly make a nice one I can post pix and you can just click and change them but for now 2 different pages just to show this thing.

I think I can run it as is with no problems. I mean I can't see why not.

They do say in the manual that you can drill and put in a bulkhead for an external pump or they actually recommend submersible pumps which I figure are a bit smaller than this one.

Either way I managed to squeeze it in without the black foam.

I am a bit concerned with the skimmer pump almost touching the bubble(blue) pad but have seen many set up the same.

Here are the 2 links.

Phastroh Page 1

Phastroh Page 2

Now I just have to figure out how to hide the submersible pump for the UV Sanitizer. It is a whisper quiet and it really tiny so I can probably hide it easily in the back of the tank.

Anyone have an idea better? It is a Turbo Twist 3x and they say only up to a 200GPH and this is already like 220GPH so I hope it is ok. May not clean as thorough but close and better than nothing.

I didn't want a pump in the fish tank so I am kind of not happy about doing it. Should I be concerned?

I am most likely going to have to toss the E Heater in there also because the sump has no room as you can see.

Ok so I purchased the Aqueon Proflex Sump.

I also purchased a protein skimmer to go in the sump.

Well I also bought a Mag 9.5 water pump.

I cannot fit both in the sump together. It is pretty much one or the other.

Now even if I could fit them both in the last section of the sump wouldn't that be an issue since the Mag 9.5 will pump more water than the skimmer is putting back out.

Also wouldn't the Mag be pumping water before the skimmer can even clean it if they are both in the same section.

I wanted to make the center a refugium and then use the skimmer afterward and of course use the Mag 9.5 to pump water back to the tank.

I have seen a few online and the pump and the skimmer were in the same last spot on the sump. This Mag has a huge black foam filter on it that is mostly why they both won't fit in the last chamber together.

As you can see there is a lot of text I wrote but the problem is not that complicated for someone who knows what to do.

Like is the black filter really needed on the Mag 9.5?
Is it a bad idea to have a stronger pump in the same spot as the skimmer or do I use a gate valve on the rerun to slow it down a bit or rely on the bulkhead to do it automaticaly s I was told it can only pass through 600GPH at the size it is..

Any help I thank you for ahead of time.

Hi, I have purchase Aqueon Model 1 because is the only one that fits my stand (bowfront) I'm using a C-Remora protein skimmer in the last chamber with a mag7 return pump and Phosban 150 reactor, all in the same space. The C-Remora is HBO, the only you can use with this model

Back