Injury or Illness

Nick

Reefing newb
It looks like one of my Tomato Clowns got punched in the eye...

Its hard to describe; I've included photos...

Is this an injury or is this some sort of eye infection? What should I do about it?

#9517 and #7709 - You can see a head on photo: the right eye is black and normal but when you look closely, the left eye seems like its popping out.

Attachments

• IMG_9517.jpg
    IMG_9517.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_9018.jpg
    IMG_9018.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_7709.jpg
    IMG_7709.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_5892.jpg
    IMG_5892.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_1363.jpg
    IMG_1363.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_1335.jpg
    IMG_1335.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 294
I can't see the pics but from what you're describing it sounds like it could be pop-eye. It can happen from either damage to the eye or an infection. Best thing to do is, if he's still eating just leave him be and try to get over it by himself.

"Pop-eye" does describe what I'm seeing.

Are the pictures not viewable or is it just that they aren't a good shot of the problem?

He doesn't seem to mind at all... he isn't stressed but I will say that he wasn't eating as aggressively as he normally does.

I've got some additional photos. They give a better view of what the eye looks like...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 295
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 281
I've been reading...

It said that because the popeye is only one eye, it is likely due to injury. If it was water quality or illness, both would be effected.

Multiple locations have recommended the addition of Epsom salt to the water. Is this true and if so, what is the correct dosage?

That's definitely pop-eye. Like @BL1 said, if he's eating just let him be.

Catching him to treat him would be infinitely more stressful.

yup,definitely popyey.had a saddleback that went through the same thing a while back and made a full recovery.good luck.

Give him some Spinach!

1007265-popeye.jpg

There's a big Queen Angel at my LFS that has this. I've always felt sorry for him. Thanks for the info, now I know there's hope!

Deffiently looks like pop eye, some fish can just beat it over time, Ive seen fish live with it for long periods of time. keep a eye out on it.

Back