Input please and thank you =)

All I have is the 55 gallon tank and I was trying to gather everything else from people selling things around me. That was what I found on craigslist from two different people. So if I get:
Metal Halide ballast with barely used metal halide bulb. (175x2 watts)
Marine Life protein skimmer ( hang on type)
aqueon proflex 1 sump (4 months old)
live sand
about 20 lbs of rock
mag 7 return pump

then what else would I still need? I did look up that sump online to see what it was exactly and it didn't look like it held a refugium. If it doesn't then is it still something that I would want?

If you are using an HOB Skimmer than you could use the center chamber of the sump for your fuge. However, I'd look around for a better HOB skimmer if that is your plan.

What about the koralia 1400? Is that too much too?

That would be fine. Maxijet 1200 is another good powerhead for a 55. You will want at least 2 of them (which ever way you go). The Koralia 6 is a 2200 GPH powerhead, and for a 55 it would most likely blow things around that it shouldn't.

Ugh! The guy got back to me and told me he sold the pieces that I needed so now I'm back to square one. Lol. I'm going to keep looking and definitely keep in mind everything everyone is telling me. I think I'm definitely going to look into that skimmer you pointed out to me though.

That would be fine. Maxijet 1200 is another good powerhead for a 55. You will want at least 2 of them (which ever way you go). The Koralia 6 is a 2200 GPH powerhead, and for a 55 it would most likely blow things around that it shouldn't.

I looked up the Maxijet 1200 and it seems like they all look different and have different features. What exactly should I be looking for when I go to purchase powerheads for my tank? They left me slightly confused :shock:

Back