insurance on tank??

Not sure if its possible?? It may be under renters insurance if you rent I know you can have all of your personal items covered here in ak.

Under a renters policy pet coverage. Typical is for damage caused by pets, but for additional they cover replacement costs of pets, but not for natural cause deaths, basically they cover for theft, killed pets, malicious loss, fire. No coverage for earth quakes, tornados, floods, as they are natuaral calamities. They would all be under seperate coverages (more money). They put power and heating outages, for some reason, under naturall causes. My coverage is through a special policy offered by my bank. It is around half of what Geico wanted for approx. the same coverage. Maximum under my rental policy is $25,000, they say there is a supplemental policy that covers a larger loss, but it is just a slimmed down commercial coverage that is tacked on to the renters policy. But as Bri said I live in Alaska. In this state insurance coverage must be made available to renters by insurance companies. That is not the case in all states. We actually have laws up here that give renters very strong rights. It is expensive and time consuming to evict a renter in the state of Alaska. In Alaska, if a single, or seperated pregnant woman quits paying rent, do not plan on getting her convicted until at least 90 days after the child is born.

All of my equipment and fish tank is covered through my LFS ... my homeowners covers any damage caused by my tank breaking or leaking ... but i have yet to find a insurance that will cover anything live like my fish and corals

All of my equipment and fish tank is covered through my LFS ... my homeowners covers any damage caused by my tank breaking or leaking ... but i have yet to find a insurance that will cover anything live like my fish and corals
My policy when they originally sent me a copy, before I signed up, stated that the insurance coverage covered personal pets. Period, and no more. I had to get them to specifically put in writing what that meant. We conversed through my bank twice the first week, and then through emails at my apartment over a period of three weeks before they produced specifics in writing. It was a give or take discussion. They initially said they would only liability claims involving damages caused by pets. I countered with does that mean damages from an aquarium tanks weight, or water damage from tank breakage. That took two days for them to answer, which they agreed to. I then told them I would not even begin to consider an offer without a theft clause, they emailed back in two days, and the further negotiations took four emails after that. The amount of value for the tanks contents took the most arguement. They obviously were more used to dealing with issues in regard to pet bites, carpet and furniture damage by dogs and cats, not large aquariums or their expensive contents or the possible stuctural damage they can cause.

Last edited:
i agree that they are not accustom to terms such as we require ... however when i inquired about the coverage of my aquarium and contents my insurance people said no way will they cover anything in an aquarium ... maybe for the right amount of money they may change their minds ... i guess i should have expected that since most insurance agency's are not here for us rather here for themselves

I think I got a much better deal than they did. I really do not know why that ever really agreed to as much as they did. The coverage is really cheap considering the chances. It is less than $30 per month. $200,000 liability, plus personal property coverage, and the pet coverage. Hell the landlord probably ishs I could do $200,000 dollars in damage to his property. He would rather have the money than the property. I did send them copies of over $25,000 in receipts however. Luckily I did not have to explain every receipt. I have boxes and boxes of stuff that may never be put to use. What does one do with two cases of Maxi-Jet power heads. It took months to sell just one wavemaker at less than half price and it was brand new in the box also. Half price on Maxi-jet would barely do more than cover shipping by the USPS. Then there are the boxes old lighting fixyures, old skimmers, old pumps, boxes of PVC fittings/valves, vinyl hose and pieces of PVC pipe, and bulkheads and on, and on, and on....

Last edited:
lol,yes, fatman is a human text book.... so its not possible to just have the tank insured without having renters or home owners insurance? im trying to get into a new house but need more credit, the house im in has very poor wiring and with everything running the tank the outlets get hot and i have to replace the breakers quit often.well ill figure somethin out.....thanks for the input

lol,yes, fatman is a human text book.... so its not possible to just have the tank insured without having renters or home owners insurance? im trying to get into a new house but need more credit, the house im in has very poor wiring and with everything running the tank the outlets get hot and i have to replace the breakers quit often.well ill figure somethin out.....thanks for the input
Are you meaning you have to reset the breakers because they flip to the off position or that you actually have to replace the whole breaker switch. Or is the place so old it actually uses screw in fuses that have to be replaced. For many years there were homes wired with aluminum instead of copper wires, and for many years the standard was only one 15 amp breaker per room to be used by all the outlets combined. In the 1950's homes were built whhere all the bedrooms shared one 15 amp circuit for their wall outlets. There are homes built in the 40's that have a 45 amp entrance panel. The minimum standard now is 200 amp and 400 amp is very common anymore. It may seem strange, but for safety sake , if you have an electrician or a good handy man for a friend, you might want to consider hving a circuit wired for the tank alone that runs straight from the main service entrance to your tank. A 120 volt 20 amp circuit for a small tank, and at least two circuits that size for a larger tank.

thanks....yes this house is very old.i think it was built in the 70's.the breakers actually make noises when my halides turn on.i think im gonna get higher amp breakers. thanks fatman

thanks....yes this house is very old.i think it was built in the 70's.the breakers actually make noises when my halides turn on.i think im gonna get higher amp breakers. thanks fatman

:^:Be careful with higher amp breakers. The circuits are on a certain amperage for a reason. You could start a fire if you have too much juice going through the system and the breaker doesn't pop.

i wont be able to move till this time next year....maybe i should just set my tank up elsewere till then.... i didnt have this prob till i got halides.

The halides are going to draw more electric. If your OK with electrical circuits, you could run another circuit for your lights if you have an open breaker. It's actually not difficult, but it's great if you have a friend that has done it before (my father-in-law helped me learn how to run them). I would use 12 gauge or 10 gauge wire for it.

Or, if you don't have corals, you could setup with fish only, or if you have enough light without halides, consider lower light corals. Just a thought ...

A lot of the houses built inthe 70's used 15 amp circuit breakers, but also most of them used 12 gauge wire which is fine for a 20 amp circuit. If you have a friend who is the DIY type all they would need to do is at most ask a hardwaree store for a one inch long piece of 12 gauge and a one inch piece of the smaller 14 gauge wire and compare them to the wire on one of your outlets. It will be simple to tell the difference in size. If it is 12 gauge wire it will handle a 20 amp circuit breaker with out danger. A 14 gauge wire will only carry safely the 15 amp load covered by a 15 amp circuit breaker. !2 gage extension cords are expensive but readily available if you need to just run a line from another romms outlet. It is nice to have your lighting on one circuit and every thing else on another circuit. Remember a 250 watt halide bulb uses 250 watts, but the ballast uses more than 250 watts to supply that 25o watts. It is not unusual for a 250 watt halide magnetic ballast to consume 290 to 320 watts to run a 250 watt bulb. Electronic ballasts are more efficient, but how much depends on their design and quality of construction.

so its not possible to just have the tank insured without having renters or home owners insurance?

are you not planning to have any homeowners' insurance? In Ohio, we are required to have it upon purchasing a house, as far as I know. Maybe I'm just confused by the wording here.

Ronboy do you have breakers or fuses? Something is wrong if you need to replace breakers. Unless you're tripping the breakers on a regular basis and wearing out the internals on them you shouldn't need to replace them. Fatman is right about upping the breaker, make sure the wiring in the house can handle it. If you allow more current to pass through a wire than it can handle it will cause a fire. Safety first. Fatman you want to offload some of that extra gear? :question:

Back