insurance on tank??

It is pretty hard to make while shipping anything from Alaska. There is no UPS ground for shipping less than 300 pound shipments so it is limited to UPS 2nd day air, FedEx, USPS parcel or USPS Priority mail. USPS Priority is not too bad, but still costs more than a lot of things are worth. Typically shipping to Alaska on small shipments is higher than the cost of the items purchase price. An example, I bought an Apogee light meter for measuring PAR, it is just a little larger than a cigarette package, it cost $21.88 to ship by UPS. I bought $56 worth of PVC flex pipe and it cost $68 to ship it by UPS. For UPS second day air (which takes four days too or from Fairbanks, Alaska) it cost $21.88. Four PVC fittings cost $26 and cost $31 to ship USPS priority mail. Items like Maxi-Jets would cost nearly as much to ship as their selling price down there. Priority mail is a little cheaper, but takes 6 to 7 days on average. Parcel post generally takes 3 to 4 weeks, and often gets lost, and the post office can not trace parcel post. Alaska is often called the top of the world. I think that is based on the cost of living in Alaska. I hear only a few cities in Japan have a higher cost of living than here in Alaska. The villages up here are currently paying over $8 per gallon for gasoline. The government here subsidizes their fuel oil and diesel prices but not their gasoline.

Yeah it kinda *ucks. It is really bad when you consider the cost of shipping cell cast a crylic is almost as high as the plastic, and that stuff sells like it is made out of gold. I pulled some 18 inch diameter out of a dumpster up at the university. Four pieces 3 foot long. It cost over $60 per foot online, plus poatage. It still had plastic protective wrap on it. Never, pass up on any free acrylic plastic, especially cell cast.
To ship in new corals I use airport to airport shipping. That is a requirement that I have of any person or business I buy coral from. The air shippers charge for a minimum of 100 pounds at $145 average depending on where it is shipped from, but by the pound for anything over 100 pounds. It is too expensive to ship corals by FedEx to Alaska. Around $120 same day shipping (and must pick it up from them or they deliver it the second day) for a box with 12 small corals or frags. I can get up to around 80 to 120 shipped airport to airport for the $145 and get it the same day. Depends on whether they foam wrap or water ship the corals. You can get some good prices on coral buying 80 to 120 at a time. You find out just how big the small grower is when you try to make an order that large. It is nice though to be able to buy them at 50 to 60 percent of the normal asking price.

Wilson? Is that the neighbor for which no one ever sees the face? If so, I can live with that. I think him a nice character.

lol yup, that's him. It's a perfect fit because you never see his face and he always has a wealth of information to share and a lesson to teach.

Back