Introduction

Creben

aspiring reefer
Hi there!
im new to the site, and to saltwater tanking, so i appreciate all your help.

i have a 20G long setup with HO 60watt lights
im just cycling the tank, only two days old, with live rock, live sand, and a damsel.

now if any of you are not too tired of giving advice i do have some questions...
my live rock came with an anemone, and urchin, a clam, and a "sea squirt." will these animals survive the cycle? if not can i put in any additives to curve the ammonia/nitrite spikes?
i look forward to communicating with you about my reef tank!

Welcome to the site!

I don't think so. I'd especially remove the anemone. Do you know anyone with an established tank that could keep then until your cycle is finished? You could get seasoned water from your LFS and set up a 3-5 gallon QT tank and keep then in there.

Hello and welcome to the site, glad to have you. How much live rock and sand did you get, because sometimes, you may not see a cycle. Dcan is right about the anemone, I'd remove it, they don't seem to do well in some established tanks, so a new tank will be difficult. :)

Welcome to the site!

Was your live rock cured? If not then you shouldn't have anything in the tank during your cycle except for the Rock and sand, definitely not a fish and anemone.

Welcome! Some of the other have answered you there. I'll just give my word in there too. If the LR is cured and from an established tank and you have quite a bit of it, then it will help keep your cycle shorter and not as big of a spike. I got all of my rock from other established tanks and I didnt anything in the way of a spike in my tank. I would get the anemone out, I have heard they are hard to keep even in some established tanks so a new tank woud be very hard, and it can harm everything else as well when it dies. If possible I would get everything living, out of the tank until you see the cycle happen.

thank you all for the input.
as an update, i had put in only 6lbs of cured live rock in the tank. i didnt want the anemone but the guy at my LFS likes me so he threw it in. he told me that i shouldn't see a big spike, and gave me some additives that removes ammonia/nitrites so i hope that helps...

as far as the anemone goes he still did not open =( im not so sure he will make it, despite my chromis swimming around happy as can be!

so my final question is, if he does die i have to worry about taking him out quickly right? will i know he is dead for sure?

thanks again!

Anemones are very difficult animals to keep. What kind of anemone is it? If it's not a hitch hiking anemone species, chances are slim that it will survive. Is it one that they had for sale? If so, I would take it out immediately, before it dies. If it dies, it can kill everything else in the tank with it.

You can tell he's dead if you touch him or wave something around near him, and he falls apart. By that point, they are very difficult to remove.

Again, it depends on if it's a hitch hiking anemone or a species that is bought and sold in the hobby. The hitch hikers can be very tough, and may last through the cycle. The rest of them are quite delicate.

Can you post a pic?

thats crazy a lfs would set you up with a nem right from the start. thats not something that they usually just give away. most are quite expensive, post a pick like stated before just for a check to make sure its not bad.

ohh and welcome :)

I'm with these guys.
And I would maybe consider a different LFS if they gave you an anemone "because they liked you". The person sounds either a)uninformed or b)like he was being not very nice...

Back