Is acrylic worth it?

zagitazz

Reefing newb
I've been surfing craigslist for a couple days and recently stumbled on a decent deal. A guy was selling a reef ready 90 gallon acrylic with a sump system, corner overflow, pump, skimmer, 4 bulb light, nice stand, and pretty much everything needed to get me going. First off, he was going to give it to me for $500 and I wanted to know if you guys thought that was a good deal. Secondly, I've been reading that I should stay away from acrylic, because scratching them is a pain. So I'm wanting to know if you guys thought I should avoid acrylic? Is it truly going to be a pain dealing with the scratching? Just wanted to hear from those with experience, because I have no idea what I'm getting into.

Last edited:
I got a 90g off of CL last year (stand, canopy, sump, pumps, basic light, extra 45g tank and stand, filters, light, etc.) for $400.... and within a few weeks saw similar ads listed at $250-$300. On price alone, I think you can do better - but it would be worth finding out more about skimmer brand, light brand, etc. My tank isn't drilled and didn't come with a skimmer or coral capable lights - if the brands are good for what he is offering then the price would be decent. Also, I think you'll find a lot of set ups for sale come January after people get new tanks/set ups for Christmas. That's about the time I bought mine last year and there were terrific deals out there.

As for scratches in acyclic, I used to think absolutely don't go with acrylic. But I recently saw an absolutely stunning 400g custom acrylic tank - I was amazed at the lack of scratches and asked the guy about it - he said that as long as he runs a really clean system and keeps on top of algae build up then you can't see the scratches, and about once a year he takes a piece of sandpaper and puts it between his mag-float and sands out the scratches. He's had the tank for 8 years and its still in stunning condition. This has changed my view of acrylic tanks - I'm personally not so scared of them anymore.... though I'm not sure I'd want acrylic for a first tank.

Last edited:
The skimmer is coralife (not sure what size exactly), the sump is ecosystems 36x12x16, the light is hamilton tech with 4 x 96W compact lighting. No idea what the pump brand is. I'll keep looking around for deals. I'd be interested to hear what some other people say as well.

Back