Is it reef safe

algy1943

Reefing newb
I am considering buying a Flame Angel to add as the final fish in my tank, I have clowns, 2 Tangs, 2 Damsel Humbugs,Regal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny,2 fire fish, so has anyone any comments as to whether it will be suitable, my tank is a reef tank with loads of live rock and lots of soft and hard coral, water parameters are fairly stable bat nitrates which are around 35mg/l, I am hoping the chaeto recently added to my refugium will reduce the nitrates considerably :sfish:

Last edited:
They're a with caution fish. They've been known to nip at corals. You'll get both sides of the story, Never had a problem, and ate every coral in the tank..it depends on the fish. It's a 50/50. Alot of people do have them.

They're a with caution fish. They've been known to nip at corals. You'll get both sides of the story, Never had a problem, and ate every coral in the tank..it depends on the fish. It's a 50/50. Alot of people do have them.

Do you think it's worth the risk, I really want one, do you think they will be OK with my fish, or can you suggest something colorful to add?

Do you think it's worth the risk, I really want one, do you think they will be OK with my fish, or can you suggest something colorful to add?

That is really up to you, if you're willing to risk your corals for a beautiful fish then yes, if you're not then no

See, I would say risk it, because i have one and he has never touched corals. but thats your choice. He nips at pods and eats the food i put in and is reef safe, at least in my tank. I think its less than 50/50 i think its more like 25% chance he will eat corals. and 75% chance he wont. Unless someone did a test and took a poll

I had a Flame Angel that didnt touch a coral for over a year.Then it started eating coral polyps about as fast as I could add new corals.
The problem with dwarf angels is they may be perfectly fine with corals for a while,then all of a sudden,start eatting em.

I agree that they may be fine for a while, but like yote said they can also turn without warning. The damage they can cause in just a day unnoticed, can be great.

I dont have fish or corals yet, but your going to get my opinion any way. They are beautiful fish but I personally would want to keep the corals safe. I have been looking at fish and trying to decide what I want...there are so many colorful fish out there that you can have, I would look for a different fish. Just my :twocents:

Hopefully someone with great fish knowledge can suggest a colorful one to add that would be reef safe for you. :sfish:

I never realized how hard it can be balancing fish with fish with coral with etc with etc....:shock:

Allen I would suggest NOT risking it. The corals you lose will be more valuable the the fish you want so bad.
David it's taken a long time for my corals to reach the stage they are so it's not worth the risk unfortunately, can you suggest a nice reef friendly colorful fish?

Leopard wrasse -- my favorite fish ever!

divided-leopard-wrasse-1.jpg

Back