is my anemon dead

OceanCrazy1

Reefing newb
please i'm worried today i saw that he was being moved by the water movement. he goes upside down and moved by the current in the tank

Attachments

• IMG_1367.jpg
    IMG_1367.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Anemones are very hard to keep animals. They need very strong lighting and pristine water conditions, and should not be kept in tanks that are under a year old. Your tank is both new and it looks like you have your anemone in a shaded area of your tank. What types of lights do you have and what are your water parameters?

Your anemone doesn't look to hot. It's white in color due to lack of light. If it is floating around in your tank, then that's not a good sign either. I would seriously thinking about giving to someone who has correct lights to maybe save it, if it's not to late

Anemones are very hard to keep animals. They need very strong lighting and pristine water conditions, and should not be kept in tanks that are under a year old. Your tank is both new and it looks like you have your anemone in a shaded area of your tank. What types of lights do you have and what are your water parameters?

2 t5 light one is white and the other is blue
Nh4 amonia = 0.25 mg/l
No2 = 0.5 mg/l
No3 = 50 mg/l
ph = 8

Any detectable ammonia is not good, especially for nems. +1 everyone...I'd take him out ASAP. He could easily nuke your tank by releasing toxins upon his death.

+1 Wonton.

OceanCrazy, your parameters are not good at all. Did you cycle your tank before adding live stock? If you did, then you need to locate the source of ammonia, because it looks like your tank is cycling again. A fully cycled tank should always have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Your nitrates are pretty high too - at a level that is going to start poisoning your fish, let alone your inverts and corals. I'd strongly recommend doing a 50% water change asap to get your levels back down, remove your anemone, and locate the source of your ammonia (dead fish? Adding too many things at once? Uncycled tank?). And your lights are not strong enough to support an anemone - you need at least a 4 or 6 bulb T5 fixture.

Even on a small tank, a 2 bulb fixture is not nearly enough light to keep an anemone, and its obvious from your water tests that your tank is not ready for one. I would pull it out asap, and either return it or get it to someone with a system that is capable of supporting it

I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion already in another thread -- your lighting and water quality are unsuitable for an anemone. You insisted on keeping the anemone in spite of many people telling you that you should get rid of it before it dies in your tank. Wasn't that you? :)

I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion already in another thread -- your lighting and water quality are unsuitable for an anemone. You insisted on keeping the anemone in spite of many people telling you that you should get rid of it before it dies in your tank. Wasn't that you? :)

:shock::bowdown::frustrat: :p

Dont think it was him. He had someone come over and set his tank up after i left the country.

Ah it's very well possible I have him confused with someone else, especially with what seems to be a ton of problem anemone-related posts lately. If it wasn't him, I apologize.

np, he had someone that sets aquariums up like you would transfer from 1 tank to another. The guy would use water and substrate from his tanks that have been cycle and running for a while. Even the fish i think are from the same tank.

np, he had someone that sets aquariums up like you would transfer from 1 tank to another. The guy would use water and substrate from his tanks that have been cycle and running for a while. Even the fish i think are from the same tank.

That's fine, but the fact remains that his water quality is very poor and his lighting is insufficient for an anemone. Just look at his parameters -- they are sky high, and obviously his anemone is not happy from something if it is detached and floating around. Regardless of how his tank was set up, he has some serious work ahead of him getting his water parameters in line, and he will still have to upgrade lighting.

Really though, he/she got ripped off.

Even when most people on here upgrade their tanks and transfer everything over, the first thing you see sold is the nems.

Back