Is my stand ok?

InsanityPrawnBoy

Reefing newb
I have a 55 gallon tank that I will make into a reef as soon as I can(focusing on my 10 gallon at the moment). Although at one point I had water in it for quite awhile with no problem. I am afraid that it might break with sand and rock in the tank. The stand has no support besides on the edges so if you look down in the empty tank you can see the bottom of the stand. Should I add supports or anything? Also the stand is made out of that fiber board stuff.

I just don't want all my stuff to :death: when I get it up

It was filled for about a month so I guess it will be fine...but sand and rock are more dense then water so they weigh more there for it would weigh more....Maybe eggcrate under the sand and re-sealing the tank will make me feel better....but might I need some sort of support at all?

That estimate was with rocks and sand, just water is closer to 8lbs/gal. I dont know why you are want to put eggcrate under there or seal the tank unless you are concerned about it leaking.

Why dont you post a pic of the stand with the tank sitting on it.

But from reading your post i would probably get a get new stand, it would be horrible if it collapsed.

I got some pics...If I needed a new stand I would probably make it. One because it might be cheaper then buying a new one. And two because my Dad and I could Build a very good one if we had to.
Pics:
100_4183.jpg

100_4188.jpg

100_4187.jpg

100_4186.jpg

Thanks! I was just worried after looking at other stands. All I have to do now is finish designing my overflow, clean my sump, test my sump, make the baffles for the sump, get a container for mixing salt, make my overflow design, finish my 10 gallon reef tank, then start seeding my 55 gallon tank with sand and rock....how fun lol this is fun

Ya I will...but my money is an issue lol I have to see if I can care for both tanks at the same time on my budget...If not I will transfer the 10 to the 55....but I just got the 10 from a trade lol. Once my 10 gallon is cycled and I have nice coraline growth on some rocks it is off to seed the big tank rocks and I would prob have to buy more LR for it as well 5lb at a time...lol that'll take awhile.

Well, keep an eye on craigslist, you can often find great deals with people getting out of the hobby. Also check for local marine clubs and forums, the often have sponsors that will cut you a deal of you are part of it.

Back