Is this a type of snail?

Repth

Reefing newb
I couldn't find this on Google search so I came here. The picture isn't the best, but it gives you a rough idea. It's got black and white stripes and it LOOKS like a snail but I can't tell if it's even a shell. I don't think it's a stomatella snail since we just found one of those and it looks nothing like that. It almost looks like a beetle and a snail put together.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks.

Attachments

• weird thing.jpg
    weird thing.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 643
looks like a collonista snail to me, which are great algae eaters and dont get much bigger than that!

Hello and Welcome to the site too!

Thanks, though it didn't really look like anything offered. It doesn't have a shell quite as defined as that, it doesn't look like it has a shell at all, but it could be just because it looks young, whatever it is.

On a sidenote, we just found a bristle worm hiding among some zoa's we got from Petco. Tried to snag it with some tweezers with no luck....

Oddly enough, that's what some sites online have said. I guess we just panicked because it's a new system and we took a gamble with this last piece of well established coral we got. We hear a lot of stories about horrible hitchikers that ruin tanks and we certainly don't want any of that.

Thanks for all the advice! I hope to keep an open mind from now on when it comes to these little critters.

Honestly, no it doesn't even look like it has a shell. Whatever it is, It's too small to get a decent picture of right now. I'll post a new one when I see it bigger.

Ok, there's a new... thing... I think it's a clam of some sort. I shined my purple laser pointer at it to see if it would respond and it closed and turned away from me a little. I just checked on it and it was open so I snapped a picture. It's the brown triangle in the center of the image with black in the center.

What the hell is it? A clam of some kind?

Attachments

• DSC01394.jpg
    DSC01394.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 263
Back