Is this brown algae?

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
This is a week old tank.

The rock I purchased was under crappy dim lighting...

I brought the rock home...and this is developing.

IMG_0521.jpg

Looks like Diatom Algae to me. From what I know it comes and goes in new tanks, not much you can do about it really. I'm sure the experts will be along soon to help you out further.

How long are your lights on? Cut them back a little. I have a new tank as well with diatoms, cutting the lights back for me has helped.

Bluespace has it in a nutshell don't worry about it at all. Almost every new tank has a bloom like that. Just give it some time and it will go away.

I've been reading up on diatoms the last few days since I'm going through the same thing with a new tank right now. It seems that a diatom bloom in a new tank can happen when you've introduced new live rock (That's you) or when your tank has just about reached the end of it's cycle. What you're seeing is dead diatoms, it's the skeletons of the diatoms all linked together. In a new tank, typical green algae cannot grow until your tank has went through this phase. And until Green algae can grow your tank hasn't cycled. Again, they disappear on their own.

In an existing tank (cycled), it can mean alot of other things. The first being that you're not keeping up with regular maintenence.

And Congrats on the Hockey win tonight. I just wish that douche Crosby didn't score the winning goal...But what a great game.

You need to be patient with salt water. YOu will end up chasing your tail and crash the tank so let it cycle for a few weeks, it's worth it to wait. Check your water levels, Nitrate, Nitrite, amonia, and phosphate, po4 will give you diatoms and algae....

Here are my levels from today.

Sal: 1.025
Temp 80
Alkalinity: 2.80
Ammonia: 0.10
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate 0
PH 8.0
Calcium 400

My plan is to let it cycle for a month and see where I am then...hopefully the bank account has replenished :)

Here are my levels from today.

Sal: 1.025
Temp 80
Alkalinity: 2.80
Ammonia: 0.10
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate 0
PH 8.0
Calcium 400

My plan is to let it cycle for a month and see where I am then...hopefully the bank account has replenished :)

your still cycling it appears dont add any livestock just yet until your nitrates are going up and your ammonia and nitrites are at 0. Your pH is just a tad low and the salinity is right at the top. I didnt look at alk and dont remember what that should be. Still all in all its a new tank. Let it work its own magic. Time will really make it better

No phosphate levels? I'd like to see where they are with your algae bloom. Do you have any live rock at all?

Phosphate tests are unreliable. You can have a major phosphate problem and your test kit will still read 0 because the algae is using it all so fast. Phosphates only spend an average of 7 seconds in the water column before they are used up by algae. So they don't even stay in the water long enough to show up on your test.

Back