Is this what was killing my fish

I have had my tank up for 5 weeks now. 5 Looooong weeks. :) At about 2 and a half weeks (and after cycle) my water params were consistently great (used cured live rock) and I added a fish, a blue/green chromis. He was happy for 4 days. The morning of the 5th day I was rushing out the door, late for work, and he was on the bottom of the tank, breathing heavily. My husband came home early and found him dead. I was heartbroken, re-tested the water and everything was fine. Took water sample to LFS and they concurred, no ammonia, everything else great. I waited a week and seeing as my tests were still great, tried another fish, this time a firetail goby. The exact same thing occured. Happy for 4 days. Panting on 5th day, dead within a few hours. Now, I have been scouring sites and forums for possibilities and found an odd comment, someone wrote, make sure you have the flow pointed at the surface, so there are ripples on the surface. I had no idea you had to do this. Something about gas exchange? I have a tight fitting top and someone else had written something about the gas exchange. I went and moved my powerhead so that it is rippling the surface, could this fix my problem? I just did another waterchange, 20%(r/o water of course) Should I try another fish? I don't want to keep killing fish, it's heartbreaking. I have since learned the chromis isn't a great idea and while at LFS some other shoppers told me they have never had luck with gobies (and they have a professional maintaining their 120 and 80!) what should I try? Or should I just let it sit for more time and keep doing water changes? Thank you for any help.

I think that could solve your problem. Fish need oxygen just like we do, and if you the lid on your tank is "tight fitting" and there is no ripple at the top, it limits the amount of oxygen in the water.

+1 Erin
If it was me, I'd prop the lid open a bit to allow fresh air circulation. As for another fish, I'd sugggest a purple fire fish. I think you've rounded a corner here and things will work out better for you.

Why not try building a net lid instead so you can get good air flow? I had a glass lid on my tank that came with it and I made my own screen lid its pretty easy, allows good air flow and prevents jumping fish from getting out or bugs from getting in the water.

Lack of oxygen has caused dead fish before. If you had a skimmer going then the water probably had plenty of oxygen. Is there any way for fresh air to get into the tank? Pointing the power head at the surface will do nothing unless you have fresh air getting into to the tank to begin with. There have been some situations where the whole house had poor oxygen!

Make sure fresh air gets into the tank via an open top, a skimmer or an air pump with airstone.

Also, mysterious fish deaths can be caused by heavy, toxic metals that we do not normally test for. Carbon filtration can remove much of these metals.

Thats why i have two powerheads in my 32, one pointing straight up, and another halfway down the tank point horizontal.

+1 Erin
If it was me, I'd prop the lid open a bit to allow fresh air circulation. As for another fish, I'd sugggest a purple fire fish. I think you've rounded a corner here and things will work out better for you.

Thanks for all of your help guys. I appreciate the encouragement and information...I will open the top flap on the lid, rig a screen to put over it, and keep the powerhead pointed up.
Maybe I'll go look at some inverts and a purple firefish tonight...
So glad this forum exists. I would have given up without it.
Hope you all have a great weekend

Good luck solving your problem. Lack of oxygen can cause big problems. Let us know if it works!

Just an update: Saturday the 19th I got a false percula clownfish, he has now been happy in my tank for 11 days! (hope I'm not jinxing anything, I've waited to name him, with my track record I didn't want to get too attached) I also have a cerith snail, a nass. snail, and a small red legged crab. I believe keeping the lid flap open, pointing the powerhead up and adding a powerhead all cleared up my oxygen issues...
I now have dirty sand and hair algae but I'll take those problems over fish deaths any day!
Thanks again everyone for the encouraging words and advice!

Just an update: Saturday the 19th I got a false percula clownfish, he has now been happy in my tank for 11 days! (hope I'm not jinxing anything, I've waited to name him, with my track record I didn't want to get too attached) I also have a cerith snail, a nass. snail, and a small red legged crab. I believe keeping the lid flap open, pointing the powerhead up and adding a powerhead all cleared up my oxygen issues...
I now have dirty sand and hair algae but I'll take those problems over fish deaths any day!
Thanks again everyone for the encouraging words and advice!

In air pump or skimmer will also add oxygen to your tank if you wanted to close the lid.

Nice! Glad things seem to be working out for you. Algae is a normal part of every tank, and you will commonly see algae problems in the first 6 or so months that a tank is set up, so don't let that discourage you!

Back