It's Alive

SlyRider

Reefing newb
Well, I am finally starting to see some life come from my live rock. It has been in the tank now for about 3 months. I have a couple of Peanut worms, a fairly small bristle worm, and tons of pods. It is kind of exciting. I have been hitting my tank with a flashlight whenever I get a chance to see what is swimming around. What else might I expect? I have a couple of rocks that have turned an awesome purple color, but other than that no real growth yet on the rocks. Still waiting patiently.

Little starfish are very common. I bet those will start popping up soon. Look for them at night with a little flash light -- if you haven't noticed already, many hitch hikers are nocturnal and you may be surprised at the new things you see at night.

Stomatella snails are extremely common. They're also nocturnal. They look like slugs with a flat shell on their back.

Stomatella snails are extremely common. They're also nocturnal. They look like slugs with a flat shell on their back.

those reminds me of abalones soooo much!! lol. when i found my first one i was like 'MOM!!! A BABY ABALONE OMGGGG GET THE CAMERA" and i kept finding them, haha i thought i was gonna be farming abalones xD turn out to be lil stomatella :3 cute lil guys :D

I do have a lot of little snails in the tank. About the size of a pin head. I thought that the nassius snails were making babies. They might be the other. They are so small to tell. I found a couple of other worms that I havent identified yet and also a little furry thing. I thought it was a pod, but it doesnt move like one. It is much slower and stays in one spot. I am thinking maybe a slug of some sort. Dont know. My wife was laughing at me because I wanted to set an alarm for the middle of the night so that I could go look with a flashlight. Really enjoying the saltwater experience

The night life is really the cool part of the hobby IMO.
My wife caught me sitting on the bed one night watching my tank.Except I was using my rifle with a night vision scope.
YEAH,she thought I'd lost it:D

The night life is really the cool part of the hobby IMO.
My wife caught me sitting on the bed one night watching my tank.Except I was using my rifle with a night vision scope.
YEAH,she thought I'd lost it:D

Almost pee'd myself, then I remembered that I'm on Living Reefs.

The tiny snails you saw are probably colonista snails -- they'll never get any bigger than a pinhead. They are just a mini snail species.

Back