It's time.

SeanV76

Reefing newb
Well after a while I am finally going to start with coral. I have a few question what other things should I test for I am testing for PH, Ammonia , nitrite, nitrate, calcium, and phosphates. Am I for getting anything? Also what coral is great for beginiers?
If any of you guys have questionds feel free to ask (:

You seem to be testing for everything you need, but alkalinity (also called harness). I would pick up a test kit for that, and you will be all set! If you have two bulbs over a 55 gallon tank, you will be okay keeping low light corals like softies (zoanthids, mushrooms, leathers). For other corals, you should upgrade lights.

I would add alkalinity to that list. Also, phosphates on average are only in the water column for 7 seconds before being sucked up algae so the odds you actually testing phosphate in the water column is slim to none. But the easy corals arent very sensitive to phosphate.

Some great easy corals to start with are mushrooms, ricordia, zoas, palthys (?), xenias, and leathers. The dont require high lighting conditions or perfect water. They are also really easy to find.

Can you try and find out some more about your lights, it sounds like you have enough, but lets just double check.

I would add alkalinity to that list. Also, phosphates on average are only in the water column for 7 seconds before being sucked up algae so the odds you actually testing phosphate in the water column is slim to none ...

This is true if you have a lot of algae --especially macro-algae like cheatomorphia. If your phosphates do measure at 0.25 ppm then I would stay away from stony corals until you have phosphates under control. Once your phosphate test shows zero you can try stony corals. The health of my plate coral (Funghia) tells me whether I have phosphates in the water much better than the test does.

Back