I've identified my coral...

Yep, pavona. Lovely corals that will demonstrate some lovely growth patterns. I don't have any due to my angel deciding to eat everything but softies but I do like them. They look stunning when in big colonies. Good luck with it - keep it under intense lighting and good strong flow to get most colour and better growth forms. :)

I thought it was a softie based on the fuzzy pic...but had the shape and characteristics of a pavona. I don't care about credit lol it's a cool coral whatever it is. Hope it does well!

OK, I went to my LFS today and looked in the tank that had my coral. He had lots and lots of these corals. He had a big one and she had been in his tank forever and that one kept "throwing off" these little guys. He would put them on a frag stone everytime she had a new "baby". I pointed at them and said, what are these? He said they were montis. I said that everyone, including myself, thinks they are pavona. Said they looked just like the photo we saw online. He said we were all crazy and these are montis, no doubt. I looked at all the other "montis" in his tank. This one is definately unusual shaped compared to all the others, they were flat. The "mother" was more brown and didn't have near the little hairs that mine has. All the "babies" were fuzzier than the mother coral. Could the montis be hairy when young? We chose this particular coral over the others because it was kind of shaped like a cactus (hence the name, Yucca) and it reminded us of our trip out west. I'm taking my camera to his store tomorrow and I'll get a shot of the mother if I can, I have to work with his lighting so I don't know what I'll get. So, looks like the argument over who identified it first isn't valid no matter what? It's a monti?

Love the controversy!

Catherine

Throw a macro lens on your camera and take a close up of the polyps. From what I can see on the 2 other pics (even tho they are very blurry) they do not have the shape of a montipora polyp.

+1 Ccapt I fully agree that the polyps don't look like a monti at all. Pavonas are also commonly nicknamed "cactus coral" for obvious reasons.
I don't think a monti's polyps change size or shape when they are "young" or a mature colony. Break off a frag, and the polyps will look the same as the mother.
I have yet to see a hairy monti myself, although I've only been into SPS since April.
I'd also love to see a sharper pic of the coral, Picasso!

I'll take another shot, this one is hard because it sits right in the bow of my tank and the optics are killing my focus. I'll get it later tonight.

My photoshop is down and I'm having trouble squishing it for upload, it was in focus before I uploaded it.
IMG_3804.jpg

lol, definitely a Pavona.

What is a fairy monti? I've heard of people calling digitata 'fuzzy', but I think someone may be confusing this Pavona with a hairy 'milli' (Millipora). :)

Milli's can be super hairy, so much that you can't see the branches! Monti Digis have fairly fuzzy polyps when fully extended, but they're round...just like all other montis' polyps
Here's my Pavona:
Pavona9-27-08.jpg

OK, I talked to my LFS guy again. Told him this is a Pavona and he said that he was thinking maybe it was a Pavona. He had 3 different saltwater guys that have been saltwater guys forever say that it was a monti. I sent him the picture oscarsdad found and this thread. He just sent me an email saying you guys were 100% right and to thank you all for the correction! He also joked with me saying that pavona cost a bunch more than montis and I owe him extra! He's such a nice guy!

Catherine

I told my LFS guy that we were all expecting a frag for identifying his pavona. He thought that was very funny. Did he really think I was kidding???? Seriously, he is a really nice guy and says to thank you all for helping him identify the coral.

Back