Jawfish tryin to jump to his death

He's been trying for the past 30 min. i put the lid on for now. Whats his deal? Hopefully he will still be in the tank when i get home.

His head must be hurting. How are your tank's parameters? I talked to a guy yesterday and he said he had a $80 fish jump because his tank was too warm. Poor guy.

jawfish are typical jumpers, it will probably keep trying to jump until it settles down and starts working on its burrow. I have lost three jawfish this way, as long as you keep a lid on the tank or and egg crate if you dont have a lid you should be fine, keep an eye on him to see if he is starting to build a little burrow make sure you have enough coarse sand for him to be happy and you should be goo to go!

I lost mine....he tried 4 times....unfortunately the 4th time no one was around to hear the splash... he became a cat toy.

I tried two in a row and gave up after that. Both of them jumped to their deaths the first night I had them.

I think they are really really dumb fish. Really dumb. Fo real.

I think they're a lil' mentally challenged, after a few times of bashing your head, you'll eventually get the point and stop. :)

Dunno how these turned out lets see...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5jx5nGXvHY]YouTube - IMG_1639.MOV[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTz4yYwCwQY]YouTube - IMG 1640[/ame]

Be careful, leave the glass tops on. He can and will jump at any time, especially when the lights first turn on and he is starteled by them.

i am leaveing it on for about a week. after that its a risk im willing to take. My lid seems to block or defuse alot of light going into the tank.

2inches or so. I am going to be adding another bag soon as I asked about in another thread. But I also know a close friend who has one and his substrate is lower than mine...

that may be, but they aren't happy if there's not at least one area of the tank with pretty deep sand. The fish looks bigger than 2", so I imagine he's unhappy at not being able to make a burrow. just a guess.

I'd have to disagree. My substrate isn't a flat plane of sand it is very much deeper in other parts. The front of my tank has the least at about 2 inches..I haven't seen him so I'm assuming he found a place in the reef. Maybe he will come to the front when I add another bag. He hasn't tried to jump all day so thats a plus

Back