Jellyfish in a semi-aggressive reef tank??????

mudder2010

Reefing newb
Hello everyone...
I am hoping someone can help me. I was wondering if I can keep Jellyfish (Moon-Jellies) in a Semi-aggressive reef tank....????

I do not have the tank setup as of yet but I am planning it all out...

Thank you all very much :)

I would think not, they are very delicate. Jellyfish need special tanks all for themselves because the filter usually shreds them and for some, just hitting the glass wall of the tank can kill them.

At a public aquarium near me, they have a reef tank, and touching the glass behind it, they have a jellyfish tank, so it looks like the jellys are in the reef, and you'd never be able to tell if you don't look at the surface. Maybe you could do something similar?

That link Biff posted is exactly what I was gonna tell you about.... at the MBA we have our HUGE version of those tanks. The reason you can't have a normal filtration system on them is because they get sucked up into them.... how big are you thinking of making this tank? are you able to provide live food 3-4 times a day? where will you be getting your jellies from? are you aware of how fast and large moon jellies can get?

I've worked with these quite a bit actually with our "jelly man" at the AQ and have gotten to collect wild ones, its fun but yea, don't do that LOL.

what made you wanna get into jellies?

Back