John's 60gal reef

So lots of adds this past two weeks.

So I had a temperature spike this past Monday. I was already planning on adding a fan as its starting to warm up here in So Cali, so I went ahead and ordered a fan, but I also ordered an American pinpoint temperature controller. This thing is awesome. I first set it at 81 and it worked perfect. Every day I have been slightly lowering the temp to see if I can get close to 78 without running the fan all day. It cycles between the heater and fan and holds the temp to within a deg. I love it.

I have also started to dose a 2 part ca/alk to raise my alk. I started testing at 1.8 meg/l on Monday and I am up to 2 meg/l.

Lastly, I added a new frag. It's a blue bushy acro. I'll try to post a pic later.

Thanks

John

Hey all,

Tank is moving along fine. I am still dosing to try to raise my alk, then I will move to dose for a maintenance phase. My alk right now is 2.85.

Here are some new pics including the new frag I got a few weeks ago. It was hard to get the colors to show, but its purple along the base with light blue tips. I thought the color was going to be darker blue, but since I bought it online as a WYSIWYG item, I guess I really don't know what it is supposed to look like color wise. I bought it from the same LSF I always go to, but I don't think I am going to do another online order in the future. It seems to be growing and healthy, so we will see how it turns out.

008-1.jpg

014.jpg

Here is my birdsnest. As I have been dosing, it has really brightened up and the pink color is amazing. I hope it turns out in the photos
011.jpg

Here is a full tank shot. As you can see, the green diatoms on the rock have really subsided. My zoas are looking great as well.

022.jpg

Hopefully in June, we will be added a percula and a rose bta.

Not a lot of updates as I am really trying to take it slow with this tank and watch things grow and develop.

Thanks for checking in

John

Hey all,

Been a long time since I updated. I added a few new items to the tank this past Sat.

First the sad news, I added an Ocellaris Clown which did not make it. We found its body being eaten by crabs yesterday afternoon.

So on to the good news. Here are pics of my new coral frag and BTA

Acropora Caroliniana. It has the most amazing bright green color

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

We also planned to get a BTA for a clown and found one with colors I have never seen on a BTA.
0692.jpg

0812.jpg

The BTA has decided to live literally in a hole in that rock and expands out of 2 sides of the same hole, but is looking great still.

Funny becuase the wife and I wanted to add some different colors to the tank and somehow ended up with two bright green inverts.

Hopefully, we will be picking up a new clown this weekend.

Thanks for checking in

John

Very beautiful! But I would be worried about the nem because it looks like its maybe starting to bleach out. What also confirms this feeling in me is that I dont think it came with correspondingly huge price tag and if it was a true new color mutation it would likely have been snapped up by someone up in the chain. However, with some TLC you can make it turn around or it will continue as is and we will know that is truly unique and amazing!

Very beautiful! But I would be worried about the nem because it looks like its maybe starting to bleach out. What also confirms this feeling in me is that I dont think it came with correspondingly huge price tag and if it was a true new color mutation it would likely have been snapped up by someone up in the chain. However, with some TLC you can make it turn around or it will continue as is and we will know that is truly unique and amazing!

Thanks,

You are correct, he did not come with a huge price tag. There were 2 green annenome's with the same color and a few rose ones that looked great with a nice deep red color to them.

The nem is sensitive to light. He has moved to a new location on the same rock and partially exposes himself. He was under T5 lights at the store. I am runnning leds over the workwork and PC lighting to fill in. He does expand more when the PC lights are off, and at night he is fully expaneded.

I didn't even think he could be bleaching out. Any tips or advise?

Thanks!

John

He could have started bleaching before you bought him due to stress from being transfer, poor water conditions, not enough light etc. I would just keep your water quality top notch, that really is the best thing for them. Some people feed their nems, but i dont think its really needed and you want him to recover his algae so that he can sustain himself.

Crazy few couple of days.

Last Sat, I lost my nem. He was going great, starting to color up and was attached welll. I did a PCW change he shriveled up, detached and hid in a cave for a few days. I let hum be but he started to look worse and worse. Upon closer inspection, half of him was all wilted away. The only think I could think of is that when I did the PWC, some salt resedue hit him and he burned. It's the fist nem I have lost. All water parameters are in line.

In anycase, the woes continue as my skimmer took a dump on me. I tried to fix it but I believe it is a gonner and have ordered a new skimmer. I always wanted an AquaC so a brand new EV-120 is on its way.

Everything else is looking great and growing real well.

Yeah, sorry, I meant PWC (water change)

Alk has been pretty stable at 2.9. My corals are really thriving. Might have been like littlefish said, he was already bleaching but he really started to color up and was secure in the tank for more than a month.

I set up the new skimmer last night. I'll try to post pics of everything later. Other than the nem, all is well.

Thanks!

John

Here are pics from today of some recent additions.

First, the new skimmer. Its an AquaC EV-120 with a Mag 5 pump and it works great.
239.jpg

Full Tank shot
227.jpg

Zoas looking great
217.jpg

Blue Aussie Acro, sorry I don't know the species. I would perfer it to be a little more blue, but the tips look good and its growing well.
211.jpg

Neon Green Carolina showing great color
210.jpg

Birdsnest growing like mad
235.jpg

Chromis Hanging out. I still have 3
231.jpg

New Cleaner shrimp added about a month ago
256.jpg

Grumpy the goby added last Sunday
260.jpg

Aussie Acan "hulk". I received this on Wed and its pretty awesome. Great colors. I still need to permenantly attach it, but it fits perfectly on this rock.
206.jpg

Lastly, I received this frag as a "freebe" from my LFS. They felt that the hulk acan had received a bit so to make sure I got my monies worth, they sent me this cool acan frag. I dont know quite where to place it, but it was a color morph that I wanted anyways, so lucky me and thank you LFS.
209.jpg

Sorry for the long post and heavy pics. I'll try to stay more up to date with updates. I dont plan to add anything new till Reef A Palooza in OC fair grounds in Oct.

Thanks for checking in.

John

Back