June POTM Theme - ANYTHING GOES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here you go Nemo, I cleaned it up for you:

4691413031_c5444497e7_b.jpg

nice shot.

i know i have been gone for a while and not to open a can of worms but i thought we agreed long ago that photo-shopping a picture wasnt allowed?

i know i have been gone for a while and not to open a can of worms but i thought we agreed long ago that photo-shopping a picture wasnt allowed?

Seriously? When did we decide that? I didn't use photoshop, I used Lightroom :mrgreen: If that is the rule, I didn't know that, sorry Nemo, I take it back.

I move we allow photo editing. Not in this month if that's the current rule but in next month and subsequent months. Editing is such a basic part of the photographic process. Are we all going to have to use point-and-shoot cameras? When you set your camera, you're altering the image. So we should have to use the same camera without altering the settings. While we're at it, it's not fair that some peoples' tanks are nicer than others and they will get better shots. If I'm a newbie, how can I compete with someone that has a very established tank? We should shoot the same tank, with the same camera......

c

We never decided that "PHOTO EDITING" was not allowed. I think that has a different colloquial meaning than "PHOTO SHOPPING". What was decided is that you can lighten, darken, tweak, etc. your picture. This includes removing something slight like water droplets on the glass. But you cannot "lie". As in, you can't "photo shop" in a fish that wasn't there before. Previous winners (including Catherine and Dennis) have said that they edit their photos before they post them. And that's fine. I don't have the extensive editing skills that they do, but I always lighten or darken, crop, or change the colors of my shots using a photo editing program. I think most of us do.

There's a difference between the two things, I think.

Last edited:
I agree, Biff, changing your picture is different than editing your picture. Thanks for the clarification. I agree with this clarification and I remove my request for a vote.

c

Wow,how bout that,thanks Catherine,ofcourse i'm curious what software you used?
Also,i think its almost a no-brainer that we all move the little sliders here and there to cut out glare and richen up the colors abit,i think thats almost a must.
I really like hog fish too,just not sure if they would work in my tank, nice shot.

OhNo, that was done with Adobe Lightroom 3. I could have done it using Photoshop Elements, which is the editing software we use in my photography class. It's cheaper and does anything the home photographer would need to create great shots.

C

This is strange,my photo that was fixed up by Catherine, i first saw on my father-in-laws pc,now i see it on mine and it really looks different to me .....IDK,the spots and streaks are gone:D,but now it seems abit pale or just not as vivid...Again i thank Catherine for cleaning up the spots ,but is it my pc,or just my eyes??

Looks better to me. All the little white specks are gone and it is cropped. The fish itself does look the same to me.

OhNo, I took out the spots, cropped the picture, cleared out the noise and reduced some of the saturation on your shot. You were getting some burn-out in your colored areas and by reducing the saturation you get some of that detail back, makes it look more natural. Tomorrow, I'll post the shot with more saturation. It's on my studio computer.

C

OhNo, I took out the spots, cropped the picture, cleared out the noise and reduced some of the saturation on your shot. You were getting some burn-out in your colored areas and by reducing the saturation you get some of that detail back, makes it look more natural. Tomorrow, I'll post the shot with more saturation. It's on my studio computer.

C
yep,your absolutely right,thats what i noticed between the 2...Thanks for the help....:D
Oh ,biff i actually tried every setting you mentioned for the heck of it.(i know we have different cameras) My problem is tank lighting,just not bright enough....I'm keeping it in S mode for the moment and will continue to mess with the settings.
So does this mean i now have an" illeagal" entry for POTM:mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back