just a little help and advice

mojuave

Reefing newb
Its been over a month since I've been here so first I'll update. Tank is doing good I rearranged rock and setup a little. Currently I have one clark clown 1brien clown 1telliw tang 1firefish 1sudacrhromis? 2 black/white damsel 1blue mandarin 2pajama cardinal 1peppermint and 1coralclownish banded shrimp of course many crabs and snails. Corals well that I'm not sure should've marked them but do know have keenya trees variety of mushrooms variety of pollups different grassy things leather and few1coralclownish others along with bubbledivorce tip and cartpet anemone. But My issue is find nice bright colored coral and clownish. Clownish I lost 5 and trying to find why I've bought and added a few chemicals (on suggestions) and coral/sand to sump tank even paid a marine e biologist student to come ti house to see my tank. So got feeling better and added the brown clown and after 5 days he's doing same thing as previous clowns and swimming weird vertical crooked and swimming tank high and pushed around by returns is it dying? The clark is great and hosted within minutes to bubbletip but doesn't seem to want to leave it unless he eats. Why am I having issues with only clowns

Wow sorry guys after submit looks like I didn't finish kindergarten this new phone keeps trying to finish my sentences from word history I apologize but you get the point.

LOL yeah, it was rough reading your post :D Trying to understand....you've bought 5 clowns at different times and each one dies? Did you get the same type of clowns you have now? Any bullying? Were they eating? More details would help.

Clowns in general don't have a "norm". They do all sorts of funny stuff. Did you get them all from the same place? Were they pooping white stringy stuff?

I bought 2and oceloris clowns after about 5 days 1 died then picked 1 replacement. Next day original last one died then 3 days later the replacement. All my parameters were good but I didn't trust myself so I took water to lfs and he said all is ok as well then I got two more at cost. Within a week they were dead. Then took my water to petco and they said all is good. That's when I picked up clark but prior they were oceloris clowns. Next day got bubbletip clark went to it all is great but then Saturday my father bought me brown clown. At first he hid then came out all fish getting along then I noticed the swimming. All other clowns did it and within 48 hours died?

As far as poo Idk all were eating great and no bullying at all

As far as chemicals here is my list. Kent purple Tech. Kent pro buffer. Kent essential elements. Api stress zyme and stress coat. And aquavitro fuel.

How long has your tank been set up? You signature suggests your tank is pretty new - that's an awful lot of fish for a new tank! You might be having problems losing fish because you are adding them too fast and not giving time for your tank to catch up to your bioload. You really should only add one fish every 3-4 weeks in a tank, and add the most peaceful fish first, and the most aggressive fish (such as the damsels) last. Also, did you cycle your tank before putting your first fish in, and how much live rock do you have in your tank?

The other big problem I see is your anemones. Anemones should only be added to established tanks (tanks that have been up and running for a year or so). They are very difficult animals to keep alive over time in new tanks, have very high lighting requirements, and when they get sick and die they release a toxin that can kill everything in your tank. Clowns don't necessarily host anemones - they'll host what they want to (powerheads, overflows, corals, rocks), and it won't always be what you want them to host. You are far better getting rid of your anemones than continuing to keep them in the hopes that your clowns will host them.

Finally, as far as bobbing up and down behavior, this is normal for clown fish!

How many different types of clowns are you trying to keep at the same time? I'm counting a total of 12 fish, with three different types of clowns plus damsels. In a 120 that is a LOT of damsels and not a lot of space. Are you sure you don't have a bully in the tank? Fish can start doing odd things when they're beat on constantly by a tank bully

Tank has been set up since last august I did the table shrimp cycle have 150lb+ of deal coral that turned live with brown green in october I added 6 damsels. Then rocks began to get purple. That lasted over a month then added yellow tang after few weeks added a royal gramma which the yellow tail and blue damsel killed. Rearranged tank and removed yellow tail and blue damsels. Waited a few weeksu added the firefish and cardinals. End of january added naso tang(yellow tang killed it chased it all over tank ) and first two clowns. As far as anemones had condy since november and just took it out a few weeks ago when I got the bubble and carpet been in since beginning of january they are fine. I didn't get bubble fir host got it because it looked cool. The single clark was because oceleris kept dying the brown because my father brought it to me as gift. So as far as how many just these two but originally just two oceleris. Now I was checking feeding fish 10 minutes ago and brown clown covering in white specks.

Yeah your fish have ich because they are stressed from either a bully or water quality and since you said your water is good then it might even be that you are over crowed in your tank with fish and anemones. If the clown fish dies I would wait 3 to 4 weeks and then try again. This happend to me with my two clown fish and damsel. The damsel was a bully and then before you know it all my fish had ich and they all died. So I let my tank sit empty for 8 weeks. Now I have 2 clowns and a fire fish and they are really healthy. Been good for a month now. I wish you luck

Back