Just starting up

imstillaguy

Reefing newb
Been gone from the Salt and Fresh water aquariums for some time. Got a couple of 20 gallons given to me with some fresh water fish, but really was stricken by the beauty of a reef aquarium I saw recently. Gave me the bug to get back to it. Have a 35 gallon tall set up and built a sturdy stand. Ready to put my salt in the water and get started, but would like to have some opinions offered as I go. As I live near the ocean, what would prevent me from bringing some of the rock, (not coral) from nearby (Jacksonville) and using it for live rock on my start-up?

I would never use anything from the sea collected personally, you just dont know what type of chemicals are on it or stuff like that.
Only use it if it has been taken miles away from the shore, plus I dont know if you can do that due to it being illegal (Not sure on that one).
Best looking on craigslist, or at some LFS for some live rock. I would put about 50lbs of rock in your tank.
Some of that can be dry, which is cheaper, but you want most of it being live IMO.

Hello and Welcome!!

Most areas have very strict restrictions on removing rocks, coral and fish, so check on that before thinking about taking some. It if ok, do like Waddi said and take it far from the coast.

You can buy mostly dry rock (cheap) and then just a single piece of live rock and after cycling the tank, everything will be live

Back