Just woundering about t-5 bulbs.

bobby

I like to do bad things.
For the people who have t-5 lights, I was just woundering how often you changes out bulbs. How long do they last? Do you change them out early? If so why?

Most of the manufacturers sites recommend bulbs to be replace 18-24 months.18 months for actinics and 24 months for daylights.Sorry Bobby but I haven't had my fixture long enough,but even at about six months,they still look extremely bright.Biff prolly had T5's the longest out of all of us.My theory is to why they last so long is because they run so much cooler than other florescents,PC's,MH's.

Are you considering them?

Yes I'm getting a 48" 6 bulb set plus a RR 72gal bow with the mega flow stand kit, stand, sand , and canopy for 200.00 on the 20th when I head up to st louis. The guy said the lights still have life in them but will need changed out soon so I was just wondering how long they last, and when I will need to replace the bulbs.

Last edited:
Sounds like a winner!I know you like the bowfronts alot.Remember to post pics and BTW,did he say what the light manufacturer was?

Yeah the name was finnex. I looked them up and they ran 360.00 I think. The tank is AGA and the stand is the oceanic with the smoked glass doors. Oh I'll post lots of pics. I cant wait till the 20th now.LOL Yes bows are one of my favorite the only tank I like better is the wave front.

Do you know anything about the finnex? I have seen them once on a 55 it was a 4 bulb set and they guy kept going on about how much he liked them and how well the corals reacted, but I havn't heard or read anything else about them.

I've heard of them.....on RC,they say their a good quality fixture.Comparable or better than Current(Nova) maybe.The lights alone are more than $200,I'm jealous,you need to jump on it!Remember we like pics.

Oh I did jump onit. The guy said it's mine and he will wait for me to pick it up on my way to six flags on the 20th.

My LFS runs T5s on all their tanks, and the owner says to change them out every year to year and a half. I've had mine for about a year now and haven't changed them yet.

I think Reef and Hawk started something.Reefs new build thread and Hawks thread about how size matters , and now most of us are getting on new set ups. lol
Wanna have a set up and stocking race Bobby? J/K Cant wait to see pictures of it.

Yeah I think they did start something. LOL I found the deal and just couldn't pass it up. I have been wanting either the wave front or bow for a while now and for the tank and lights for 200.00 I just couldn't pass it.

Yote,
What about me!What about me!
Nevermind,I'm going super slow on stocking the next tank.I'm gonna try more of the exotics(Blastos,Micros,Acans, etc.,etc.)

With a tank that big reef I dont think you could win. LOL Too much room, but if it turns out anything like your 75 it will be one AWSOME TANK. I cant wait to see things going in it. For this new tank though I still sticking with softys only and maybe a few LSP but no anemones or sps.

Your probably right Bobby.Ya'll are buying complete set-ups or using equipment from other tanks.For me,I'm buying equipment piece by piece.I guess we all will have new tank build threads.My lights should be here next week,I could set it up but I rather wait til I get a few stuff first before I'm ready.Ah,nevermind,I still need 200lbs + sand,salt and 100lbs of live rock.Crap!I never gonna get this thing set up.:frustrat:

I was posting pics in a pm and wanted to make sure I wrote down the right code.LOL So I tested it here and then worte that to cover it all up. I thought my plan was bullet proof then you come asking questions.LOL

Back