Justin's 75 gal build

wow, nice tank you're getting started on! If you had put in overflows, the bulkhead job would have been waaaayyy easier!

Update:
I found an emerald dead today. All water levels are good so I am going to chalk it up to stress, or the temperature drop they all suffered while in their buckets during the remodel. The Mandarin is doing great and my Zoas and mushrooms are all happy. I haven't seen the peppermints since I put them back either. I fear that they too may have gone the way of the emerald considering that the crab should be hardier... We'll see. Desmond is doing ok too BTW.
wow, nice tank you're getting started on! If you had put in overflows, the bulkhead job would have been waaaayyy easier!
Ahhh, a lesson learned the hard way. You see when I started this build I had no idea that the tank is the cheap part, so in an attempt to save money I found a used tank that was already drilled. The way it's drilled would take up too much room to add overflows in a tank that's already too small. If I had it to do over again, I would go glass, bigger, and definately add overflows. I must say that when the budget allows for a bigger rig, I will know how to do things the right way, having done just about everything the wrong way in this, my first build. Oh well, you live, you learn. I am sure that if I had found the Living Reefs before I got started I could have avoided this trouble too.

Pics to come soon every body...

let me be the first to ask it, are you sure it wasnt just a molt?
As a matter of fact, I thought it was and I went as far as to convince my wife that he was nearby and hiding, but shortly there after, I had my hand in the tank to fine-tune some of the aquascaping and I picked him up and it was most definately the whole crab... I had to tell my wife that she was right and I was wrong... stupid dead crab!

The tank is looking great and it sounds like this "hobby" is keeping you as busy as it does everone else. Lets see some more picts!

Ok, I finally took the time to get you some new pics. Enjoy:
FTS.JPGFTS (3).JPGleft side.JPGright side (2).JPG
Now, in the spirit of our good friend Doc, whom we all miss terribly, I added a few new things, and you get to guess what they are... Pics to come soon

Just playing, you should all know that I can't handle the suspense of Doc's games, nor can I afford to send out prizes. As it is, all I have are frags at this point if I tried to break pieces off, there'd be nothing left. Here's the list of new additions since I last uploaded pics:
I got a little candy cane frag
candy cane (3).JPG
I am So excited about this guy. A Crocea Clam
crocea clam (2).JPG
crocea clam (3).JPG
Some green star polyps
green star polyps (8).JPG
I already had this colony, it came as a HH on my LR, but it's so cool I thought I'd give you a pic
red shroom colony.JPG
More to come...

This brain I already had too, I posted about it a while back, but it is starting to get some color so I figured I'd update. If you don't remember, it was a piece of my LR that we assumed was just a skeleton but once I put it under some good lights it started to come back. Another good HH!
brain.JPG
brain (2).JPG
I like the shrooms, this is a frag I just picked up
mint choc shroom.JPG
mint choc shrooms.JPG
I couldn't resist the unknown. He had this piece in the $5 bin because it wasn't opening like the others. I assume that in time and with good light and water quality, it will. I figured for $5 I'd take the chance the it might not. I can hardly wait to see what color it is going to be...
unk zoas.JPG

The live stock has all recovered from the remodel, except I think think the peppermint is gone. I used to see him every day and I haven't seen him now in over a week.

Here is Joe the emerald
joe (2).JPG
and last but not least, Here's your updated Sid shots
sid (4).JPG
sid (8).JPG
sid (9).JPG
sid (14).JPG
That's all... for now!

Holy Moly, I have good news! I found the peppermint, he came out of hiding and is doing great. He shall from this day forth, forever be known as Sebastion the Survivor.

A couple of new additions:

I found this Aussie Acan on sale and could not say no. It has 2 large heads, and 7 total heads, and is by far my favorite coral. the glass directly in front of it has a spec of something on it it so to try to get it to focus, I had to take the shot from a weird angle. I'm too lazy to clean the glass so you'll have to wait till the CUC hits that area, then I'll get you a better shot.
Aussia Acan.jpgAussia Acan (2).jpg
I bought this little guy to help keep the bristle worms from taking over the tank. My wife named him Oasis.
oasis - royal gramma.jpgoasis - royal gramma (6).jpgoasis - royal gramma (7).jpg

Last edited:
Back