Justin's 75 gal build

Some new additions:
I gave a friend some frags a while back and to say thanks, he surprised me with these.
I am so pleased. These frags are awesome (blue is my favorite color)!
African Blue Hornets
_Media Card_BlackBerry_IMG00066-20090524-1309.jpg
Blue pulsing Xenia
_Media Card_BlackBerry_IMG00067-20090524-1310.jpg

I just had another small flood. :frustrat: I thought I finally had it all figured out last time I remodeled the tank but shortly after I got it up and running last time, I started to have my doubts. I could visualize a better way but that meant taking it all apart, and drilling the sump again. After my mini flood yesterday, I finally had the motivation to do just that. I just got done with my FINAL remodel. I moved the overflow from the sump to the fuge down to the bottom so it has a constant syphon. It works much better now and if it ever floods again it's cause I did something stupid!

Justin,buddy,If you aint flooding you aint reefin:D
And you might as get it outta your head that yoour done remodeling.The only way your ever done remodeling with a reef tank,is to get rid of the tank:mrgreen:

I am saying it... bullheaded as I may be... The next time I will be doing tank plumbing will be on a new, bigger tank!

Yeah,thats what I said too,when I got my old 75:mrgreen:
Of course now I'm outta room and CANT got bigger.

just get a small bed and move the wife to the couch (if i tried that i would be a dead man but it may work for you) and that will give you plenty of room for a larger tank. J/K

Just moving a wall wont do it for my next tank:mrgreen:
It'll take a concrete slab poured at least 6" deep with rebar reenforcement.
Because my dream tank would be 10ft long X 4ft front to back X 2ft deep:D

I really live with a share the wealth mentality so I will hook you up with a frag when they get established. As I mentioned before, I am connected with a supplier that can get you your very own colony if you can't wait. These little guys fetch a high price though... too rich for my blood.

Thanks,
It is 2.5 - 3 inches but it doesn't cover the entire bottom of the tank. I placed aquarium gravel in the two back corners and filled the sand into the middle. As I placed the sand, the gravel spread a bit and made a horse shoe shape. I placed the gravel in the corners to encourage pods to flourish in my tank, but wanted the appearance of sand across the front. It turned out exactly how I wanted it and seems to work great. I have a very healthy pod population, my mandarin is happy, and as an unexpected bonus, I have all sorts of stars, worms, and other inverts thriving in the gravel. There's +/- 40lbs of gravel and 100 lbs of sand.
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
hi what skimmer are you using is it seaclone?. you wanna think about upgrading to a deltec are another skimmer with a pin wheel i guarantee it will take more thick skimmate out in 1 day then the one you are using does in a week especialy now ur tanks filling up

have a look at this link of a deltec in action in the main reaction chamber millions bubbles forceing the skimmate upwards

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7BcAPZdIKc[/ame]

Last edited:
Back