Kalkwasser or Lime water?

zippyjr123

Reefing newb
Ok I have no idea about this and was wondering if it is needed to be done. If all reef tanks need this then I am clue less. I have never done it to our tank. I do water changes every 2 weeks about 12 gal. If it is needed what is it that I need to do and how do I go about doing this.
Thanks
Rose

Basically,its a calcium and alkalinity supplement that will cause phosphates to fall out of solution.But you have to mix it up,then slowly drip it after the lights are off for the night.
PITA and not really worth it unless you have a lot of SPS corals.

ok so you only need to do that if you have alot of corals. I dont have alot of corals mostly mushrooms,1 colt coral,1green starburst,1 leather,2 xenia,and 3 button polyp and a kenya tree.

None of those corals should need calcium supplementation. Its more for stony corals, both LPS and SPS. Additional calcium would help coraline algae propagation though.

I agree with the above, but will also add when you mix kalk with water you get limewater. They are not 2 different things. Water + kalk = limewater :)

"Lime Water" is a term that comes from using Ms. Wages Pickling Lime. "Kalkwasser" is a term that comes from using Kent Marine Kalk mix.

Last edited:
Back