Keep on killing them

RFD

Reefing newb
Had a brain, plate and suncoral all die- not at once but over time- I now know that I should have waited until my tank was established - running a 14 gal Nano - standard set up all parms are normal- I can only surmise that the flow or lighting is the cause. All three were in the center- all three received target feeding- all three died within four weeks.

Am i wrong or is the lighting in the nano partially to blame- besides my inexperience!

I think you added stuff too early. Especially if its only been running 2 months.

Have you checked your params? And whats your lighting?

Last edited:
how do you they die? do they just kind of fall apart, or do they lose their color and just sort of slowly recede?

btw a suncoral is a non-photosynthetic coral.... which means you have to feed it on a regular basis, which is really going to mess with water quality in a nano (quite the appetite)... which is why most nano people stay away from the sun coral... it's just not worth it.

The sun coral polyps are the only one that needed target feedings. IMO the brain and plate coral get all they need from the lighting and water column. I have a 8 yrs old green brain that has never been target fed and is about 5 times bigger than it was at the beginning.What type lighting are you using?

I feed my trachy at least once a week, keeps it super healthy.
I think ndepratt got it spot on, sun corals in a nano are tough, fouls the water for sure. Unless you're doing water changes every other day...
Nanos are tough to keep the params stable. Temp fluctuations, salinity, etc are super sensitive. It could be any combination of things killing your corals, I don't really know enough to help here...

Its more then likely that you just added them to soon.

we need to know water parameters.

brains and trachy should be fine with the lighting in the nano. as far as the suncoral goes it is a cave coral so should be put in a cave out of the light. as mentioned by ndepratt it will be difficult to keep a suncoral in that small of an aquarium because of the amount of feedings it requires.

Back