Keep Your Fingers Crossed

Nanna

Reef Freak
Hello Everyone,
Please keep your fingers crossed for us. My husband and I are buying/picking up an established aquarium tomorrow. I think we are getting an awesome deal:

Tank has cycled. the tank has been set up for 2 years, ready to go. NOTHING needed to buy. Tank has stand and hood, saphire aquatics skimmer, power head, sump and filtering inside the back of tank, 40g acrylic tank; 36" CORALIFE (4) lights with builtin fan, built in filters, live sand, live rock, 1 maroon clown, 2 large anemonies, blue fish, live plants, LOTS of activity growing on live rock (20 lbs live rock), moonlights strip; extra pumps, extra Eheim filter. The tank is acylic and it has scratches but not real obvious. Still looks beautiful when clean.

Anyway, I'm very nervous about transporting everything and keeping it all alive once we get home. I've gotten alot of info from reading posts on the site and believe we are ready to make the trip. I have new sand I will be using (26lbs live and 20 lbs "dead"). Hopefully this will keep the tank from cycling again. I'll keep ya'll posted on how it goes and I'm sure I will have questions along the way. If anyone has new suggestions on transport it would be greatly appreciated.

I would remove the nems, even if your tank doesnt cycle from the move, it will stir up stuff, parameters will swing, and it could be enough to kill them, and when they die, they tend to kill everything else.

But good luck! Post photos!

Can I keep the nems in a tub of her water if I put a heater, powerhead and one of her live rocks in the tub until tank settles down? Should I do the same with the fish?

Yes, i would do that. But it still is no gurantee that they will make it. Be sure you testing the water the fish are in frequently and have a water change made up incase levels start to rise.

Thank you again, I do have water made up and ready to go. I understand there are not guarantees, but I want to give everything the best chance I can for survival. Again, thank you for your quick response....we are headed out the door now. I'll keep ya"ll updated and send pics as soon as I can.

As little fish just said, moving the tank will definitely stir some things up so definitely be prepared for a small cycle. Removing the nems is a good idea. Not sure on how long the move will take but if there's corals as well, you could just find a way to put the light over a tub to least give them that. On the flipside, they're probably find without light for a little bit.

Also make sure to store most of the water in the tank so the move is easier, obviously. And if you're storing water in persay a big trash can, make sure it's SECURED! You don't want a bunch of water spilling everywhere.

Well folks, our day did not go as planned. Just before walking out the door, I called the lady who was selling us her tank and accessories to make sure our arranged time was still good for her. :frustrat: She Sold The Tank To Someone Else:frustrat:
As you can imagine, we were furious, but not going to give up yet. We left home headed to any LFS that sells used equipment. Found some nice set ups, but no where near our budget. Luckily my step son came to the rescue. He found someone else wanting to sell their equipment. We were able to make a deal with him. He didn't have as much for sell as our other seller but he did have what we needed. We will be starting from scratch with this aquarium but I think that will be much more fullfilling. Just goes to show, if you really want something go for it. It's going to be a late night but this aquarium will be up and running tonight!

I'm sorry things didn't work out. :(

One thing about starting from scratch is that you get to choose exactly what you want for your tank. I think you will find that even though things didn't go as you planned, you will be much happier this way!

Back