Killing Xenia

stormystormy11

Reef Addicted!
I have managed to keep two large colonies of xenia isolated and catch the pieces that break off but today I noticed that one had attached in a crevice that I can not get to the bottom of it. Any ideas on killing it before it creates a disaster in my tank? I heard Aptasia X works but I don't see how.

Smother it with Aiptasia X, just as you would aiptasia. Or pull it off and smother the stump with super glue. If the xenia starts to spread to your rocks, you are in for trouble. You may want to think about getting rid of all of it now before it becomes problematic. There's a reason why most of us consider xenia a pest, not a pet. ;)

Well, this piece has spread to the rock and I'm in a panic!. Can't reach the "stump". I don't have one single person that will take these xenia's off my hands. I don't know one other person in this hobby and the closest saltwater place is prob. 6 hours away..except for petco..:(. Their tanks are horrible! And the thought of just throwing them and the rocks in the dumpster..all those cop's and anth.'s in those rocks:(...I'll try the Aptasia X. Thanks

The xenia will stay attached to the rocks if you shake them of in some tank water in a bucket to save the pods. You don't have to toss the rocks. You can let them dry out then re-use them as (dead) rock, they will become live again. It sucks, but this is why I hate xenia and kenya trees!

Back