Learning the hard way..... i think.....HELP!!!

No,don't run the lights 24/7,it will just lead to even more of algae issue later.Six hours is plenty since there isn't any corals,yet.

I know there is no shortage of really nice saltwater fish stores,I visited quite a few up and down the southeast coast of Florida.My parents live in Hallandale.

your coral beauty will be fine in that tank since it is a dwarf angel fish but just know they 50/50 with corals if you do plan to get corals down the road

Hi and welcome!! I feel like I'm late for the party :(

Your LFS gave you some majorly bad advice. There is no way a brand new tank can support that many animals. The cloudiness is a bacterial bloom from you adding too many fish too quickly. The tank just cannot support them, and they are being poisoned in their own waste (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate).

My rule of thumb for new tanks is add one fish. Wait three weeks, make sure water parameters stay stable, then add one more fish. Wait three weeks, etc.

You will have to get rid of the tangs anyways, because your tank is just not big enough for any type of tang, so I'd suggest you start looking for a new fish store. Someone will take them in for store credit, or at least a partial refund, even if you didn't buy them there. Or, go online and search for a local reefing club. Many people are generous, and would be willing to "babysit" your animals while your tank cycles, and you should have no problem finding new homes for the tangs.

I also suggest you get rid of the sand sifting star. Sand sifting stars need large, mature, established tanks to survive. It will starve to death in your tank.

I am also not an advocate of sea cucumbers. Reason being, they bury themselves in the sand, and if they die, they release toxins and will just poison your tank. And it'll be impossible to remove the body if it has buried itself.

You should have no more than one or two fish in your tank right now, and a few hermit crabs and snails. The shrimp are extremely sensitive to water parameters and will probably not survive what they are going through. I would suggest getting rid of all fish except the clowns until your tank is done cycling (ammonia and nitrite at zero).

Are you testing the water yourself? I'd suggest doing so, that way you can keep track.

The fluorescent strip light you have now is fine for a fish only tank, but will not support any type of coral, anemone or clam. You ordered the Novas, which are fantastic lights, and you will be able to keep anything you want under those. Those are probably the best lights you could have bought for your tank.

And only run your lights 8 to 12 hours a day. Keeping them on 24/7 is not natural. Is it light all the time in nature? Nope. Fish need to sleep. It's normal for them to change colors as lighting changes. You might notice your clowns getting really pale when the lights go out, or your chromis turning brownish/gray, or your yellow tang getting dark and blotchy. That's normal, and they will come right back to their normal color when the lights come back on.

Good luck, keep us posted, and ask any more questions you have!

Thank you very much.

Todays updates:

I went to a new LFS about 35 min south from my house. I let them know the whole situation with my tank and the recommendation of the other LFS.

Just going to this new store gave me a good vibe because they seemed to know what they were talking about and were shocked on what the other store had done.

I brought a sample to get tested. pH was good. Alk was good, Ammonia was below .25, but my Nitrate was "Through the Roof" he stated.

he asked how frequently i was feeding my fish and I told him that i was feeding them twice a day(which i am now going down to once a day).

and he also said that my light be on 24/7 was a big problem.

so i am having high hopes for this LFS.

i went ahead and purchsed another 20lbs of live rock fully cured and a RedSea Test kit.

And i got 10 gallons of water to do a change tonight!

i hope everything goes well.

Bifferwine,
Where would i be able to look for a club or something in my area. is there like a web site about it?

google is your best friend. and also your nitrates are throught the roof because after a cycle the only way to get them down significantly is to do a water change, but since you still have ammonia at .25ppm your cycle isnt over yet

i would wait until you get a reading of 0 on your tests for ammonia and nitrite, then do a water change and then test for your nitrates, anywhere under 25ppm is acceptable for a fish only tank

No with your livestock at risk I would do the water change, you probably have 200bucks invested in the fish already and if you dont do something they WILL die, will this prolong you cycle YES will it also save your fishes lives YES. Do the water change your wallet and fish will thank you.

oh i have another quick question...

since i am going to do corals later on, would it be smart to get rid of the wet/dry system i have with the bioballs and go with a sump and fuge?

Last edited:
I would go sump/fuge if it were me, the bioballs can lead to nitrate problems due to not have the cryptic areas that are needed for anareobic(nitrate eliminating) bacteria to become prolific.

ok. thank you. i am going to get the dimensions tonight and try to get my hands on a tank this week!

thank you guys again!

hi all
i have to jump in here...oh and welcome to the forum and the hobby
just a few things, i will skip the fact that the first LFS gave you horrible advice, everyone coverd that

1- never trust what the LFS tells you, i have gotten more bad advice from a fish store than my wallet can tell you, even when its a "guru" store

2- before you make a move (buying fish, corals, treating your tank) anything, post here first and ask about it, the people on this forum are very knowledgeable and will steer you in the right direction, and are quick to respond

3- suggested reading
saltwater tanks for dummies...very simple lots of info and doesnt
overload you with info

when you get into corals
Corals a Quick reference guide by Julian Sprung...i take this
book with me when i go to look for a new coral, it gets right to
point about hardiness, lighting, feeding etc.

4- like everyone said take it slow, its hard, but that advice comes from many people moving too fast and paying the price, you have to remember that the awesome tanks you see pictures of, and want yours to look like, are mature tanks yours (and mine) are not

5- make it fun, not work, and read, read, read, educate yourself before you buy, because in the end, i figured out you cant blame the LFS for your own lack of education, they just want to turn a profit...(see number two)

Great advice all the way around.
If you happen to decide to run the wet/dry for a while,It CAN be a pretty good filtration system.As long as its maintained.But that means rinsing the bio-balls at least every other week alnog with either changing out or rinsing the media out.

For info on finding a local club, you will have to do some googling, and dare I say it, look at this site: www.reefcentral.com They are the only site I know of that has a comprehensive listing of most of the local clubs in the country.

I think your new fish store is giving you better advice. Although like Ryan said, doing water changes will drag your cycle out longer, it will be necessary to do so because keeping your ammonia high will probably kill the fish.

my yellow tang died last night!..

i tried to find him a new home:disappoin

but i got my novas in this morning! and they give the tank a whole new look!

Back