Leather coral

So I came home tonight to find this guy shedding, a layer of skin from across the top. And the polyps underneath appear to be trying to come out too!
So I think it's healthy and kicking!

I still haven't seen any polyps from this thing. Again last evening the head was covered in a layer of clear skin, and it shed over night. Still no sign of polyps wither. It does tend to stand up towards the light during the day then droop at night. The "stem" is white, and the head is purple.

How long to I keep this for or tell if it's dead? I've read elsewhere (Biff I think) suggested they can be inactive for weeks?

Oh yeah. My leathers have taken several weeks to a month plus to open after I bought them. If it stands up during the day, then it is alive and probably healthy too. The flesh will start getting holes in it, turning gray and rotting if it's dying.

If it's not disintegrating, it'll be ok.

They can be very fussy and take a while to open up. Mine close up for a few days at a time, seemingly for no reason. Like Biff said, if it's not falling apart, it's good. There's nothing close by that may irritate it, is there?

It's on its own near the top of the tank. Standing straight up this morning with the lights off. It looks good, I just haven't seen any polyps on it yet, and it has shed twice now in three weeks.

leathers do well in nutrient rich systems but ammo must stay near 0. keep up on carbon changing in your system, leathers release some heavy toxins. from your updates everything seems good,

Toxins? This is something I'm going to need to learn more about. I don't use carbon filtration at all, only LR and a skimmer.

many corals release toxins into the water. it's a defense for them from intruding corals, fish, and inverts. thats why many people frag leathers and other corals that are known to release them out side of the tank. usually nothing to worry about. carbon will pull them and other unwanted chemicals/impurities from the water.

Back