Leather Question

Amba

Ol' Salty
Yesterday I got a GIANT Female toadstool, about 12 inches diameter. The supporting flesh is a bit bigger than my thumb in girth, and it seems like it can't support itself at all. It's also REALLY tall, and I'm wondering if I need to help it stand, or secure it in some way? I just added it yesterday, but I can see ridiculous polyp extension, but the poor thing is upside down.

Leathers do that when pissed off or shedding. Give it time. I have found however, that the bigger the leather, the long it takes to not look like a wilting plant

I came home and he was upright and extended nicely, but it seems to still be hunched over, probably because the head is so heavy. Hopefully it gets stronger.

If the trunk looks healthy and show no signs of shedding, I would leave it alone.
Sometimes it orient's the top disk towards something that it likes (light, flow, etc) so it ends up being lopsided.

Once it is fully satisfied with its location, it might bulk up the trunk or shorten it.

Thanks it stayed propped all of yesterday and this morning or was upside down so I'll look it over when I get home and see how it's doing.

If it is shedding just a thin layer of skin then it is normal and is probably acclimating to the new tank.
The last large toadstool I added sulked for about a month and was all shriveled up. It was leaning on the rocks for most of that time.
Once it got established it extended all its polyps and bulked up real fast.

If it is shedding though, watch any corals downstream to make sure they do not get smothered by larger sheets that might peel off from the toadstool.

Good news, not shedding, just pissed off as all hell. It looks fantastic today, fully extended, and supporting itself. I'll take a pic in a bit.

Here she is, not nearly as big as she can be, but a bit less pissed off at me

LEmum.jpg

My leather has not opened in the last 3 days, it seems quite pissed off. Should I move it? Current location bottom of tank, low/medium flow area.

I would leave it alone, moving it will only make it worse. Like I said, big leathers take longer to get back to looking nice than smaller leathers

Back