LED question

Justin0329

Reefing newb
I am looking at building my own LED fixture however I am curious how much wattage it should have. Its a standard 55 gallon tank and I am thinking I'll be adding corals later. Currently I have a T5 fixture that houses 4 54 watt bulbs (2 actinic and 2 10k) for a total of 216 watts witch seems standard for that type of fixture. I really like the way LED's light the tank thus the "upgrade". Also, I like the idea of not having to change the bulbs or forgetting for that matter. So, when planning on using 3 watt LED bulbs, how many total watts are ideal for corals so that bleaching isn't an issue?

i would say around 180w or 60 leds. this might be a little overkill, but if you make them dimmable you will really be able to change your colors

Have you thought about using optics? With optics you could probably get away with 48 LED's but somewhere between 48-60 sounds about right

Also, have you thought about the color mix that you're going to use? Cool White, Warm White, Blue, Royal Blue, Violet?

as a few mentioned above ~48 LED's on a dimmer is perfect. just built my led not to long ago and im using 36 LED's on a 65 gal to replace a CF that was ~190 watts. i only have 2 small frags at the bottom of the tank and the LED's running at 50%. from what others have told me the 36 LED full power is equal to a 250 - 275 watt MH light so it's not so bad. have a look at my photo album for the CREE LED light.

plus the led's are just so cool looking...

Back