Light setup from lfs

jfannin

Reefing newb
Hello their. I must say I love this forum just FYI. So I am just getting into the saltwater hobby and have done a lot of reading over the last few weeks. So I know very little about alot of stuff. I know that lighting has to do alot with what I'm able to have in my tank so I was wonder if this light setup was any count for what I want. I'm wanting to do a reef tank of coarse but in not sure what all this light system would be good for. AquaticLife T5 HO Aquarium Lighting System - 4 T5 HO and 4 Lunar - 48 in. | T5 Lighting | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com.
This is the setup. I was planning on doing a 55g glass tank closed top if I could but I don't wouldn't want to run a cooling system. Any guidence would be great. Thanks

That's a nice light. If you run a sump you may not need a chiller, depending on how hot you keep your house temp and where you live. But nice light. That will handle almost all your coral needs I think.

ok i got my tank today. i decided to go with a 40g tank that is 36Lx18Dx16H. should be great for the lighting im hopping to go with, but my biggest concern is a filter setup because i came across an very old post that has me lost about the filter setup i should run. it was saying/debating that a Can setup is a waist and actually a bad thing for saltwater reef tank, and a Sump is a MUST.

i thought that a Can setup with a good skimmer was a good way to go. so another words, i thought (for exp) a Flu 305 or 405 did the same as a Sump. is that not correct, because i was going to run on my 40g reef with a Flu 305 or 405 and a nice protein skimmer and NO SUMP. HELP :( im lost

I answered your other thread, a canister filter and sump do not do the same thing. Canisters tend to lead to water quality problems and high nitrates unless kept really clean. Sumps should be used in addition to any filtration you have, but they are not required. Protein skimmers are a must, in my opinion. Sumps just add water volume to your system and allow you to hide your equipment.

So a Skimmer is a must. Sump good idea (IF?), Can bad idea ( WHY?).

also today at the LSP a lady was telling me that she just uses a HOB filter, Sump, and skimmer on a 75g tank and she said that her tank has always going very well. such as nice and clean and healthy. She also said that she has a Can that she isnt using atm ONLY because it was leaking. once it was fixed or replaced she was going to start using it right along with the Sump, HOB filter, and skimmer. is this a smart idea? (why/why not?)

i guess my question is whats the point of the HOB filter? wouldn't that be the same as a Can (Flu 305 or 405), but just not as good?

:Cheers:The canister filters, like an Eheim< trap dirt and food, it starts to decay and give off nitrates and stuff that overload the tank, resulting in a spike that is quick and unforseen, I know it happened to me. I had two eheims and now got rid of one and replaced it with a sump, have my skimmer, heater, temp. probe, all that mechanical stuff down there. The skimmer creates bubbles, or foam that duplicate how the ocean removes poop, ever sea foam on the water or beach? It's poop from the fishes! Anyway, live rock is your main filter with good circulation pumps to move the water around the rocks, wich will also help clean your sand. If you are not set up yet it may seem daughting fight now, I know I was like what??? But I was thinking fresh water, not salt. YOu can get your tank going with only the water and some rock, get the water moving with a powerhead. Then get a skimmer online once you add some critters. You can run a canister filter if you like, for circulation and mechanical filtration, but once you get going you will find you need to clean it twice a month, and you will probably wean yourself right off of it, I know I did. I have one left and I am looking at getting it out soon. Good luck comrade!!!

So starting out I should just use a power head or 2 to get my water ready. Once the water and salt are mixed and my numbers are good just add my live sand, live rock and lights. Thin I should be gtg, just insuring I have good flow in the tank. I belive at this point their is no need for any type of filter other then the sand and live rock correct? then I would just need to Add a skimmer once I add wish, Helping to maintain the fish waist. Thin maybe a sump. Does that sound right?

Know for the sump how do I know when or if I need that? I know that every lfs has one on every take they have in store. With that on mind I'm sure I will most likely need one.

I take it a hob filter is also a bad idea (being it's does the same as a can)?

Once again thanks For the great info and help.

Sounds good to me. If you are starting from scratch you can add r/o water, then mix you salt in the tank with te powerheads, and don't forget the heater, get the temp up to 76 or so, slowly bring it up. The hang on the back you refer too must mean a bio wheel or something? Get a good salt mix too, like reef crystals, not the instant ocean, if you are building a reef. Don't forget you will be rearranging things like a million times....Dont be fooled into buying a sump at the lfs, you can build one much cheaper, it's easy. Like I said, you can get a hob skimmer, and move it to your sump once you get that set up. Baby steps, nice and slow.

well i have been looking at sumps and skimmers posts all day and i havent found anyone that has a post with a 45g tank. i have read about a few good brands of skimmers suck as octos, and a lfs told me to run a super skimmer. what skimmer would you all recommend? i read that the super skimmer is touchy and i think i read outdated. i could be wrong on the outdated part.

i also read alot about how its alot cheaper to build a sump, but for my first tank i would just rather buy a nice premade sump. is their a good one out their i should look at buying? As for the sump i think i like the idea of the refung area, but is that going to cost a lot more because of the extra lighting? oh yah the lights used for the refung part is that just basic standered lighting or do i need some costly lighting for that as well?

If you buy a sump they run like $200 and up. OR, you can take a small regular fish tank and silicone some baffles in it for under like $50, choice is yours. You don't need bio balls and all that fluff they try to sell either.

Yea, that guy has some smokin hot stuff, nice to have that kinda cash...I had to build my own sump due to the mini size I had under my tank. You can make one real easy, I was all scared and stuff but now it's like so cool having it all work and the little fishies are happy and the corals are growing. The whole family takes time to look at dad's tank now...

I like the first one the best, but (for $274) you could build your own sump for a third of the cost of that sump. If you're like me and don't have the time then any of those would work. I bought mine as well so I really can't boast about how easy it is to build one. However I think most of the people on here did build their own.

First one is nice, but you need the skimmer and pump and all that too. Seems pricey to me, but everyone has thier own deal.

Back