Lighting - AquaMedic, PFO, Coralife

henryd

Reefing newb
Hello,
I am setting up a 180g reef tank, switching over from fish-only. I am leaning towards an AquaMedic 72" 3 HQI-250w, 4 T5 39w. My LFS is suggesting a Coralife 3 MH 250w with 4 96w PC.
Any suggestions, recommendations?

I have been using the Aqua Medic Oceanlight pendants for 3 years now with great success...

I have also tried many different bulb variations ranging from 120$ bulbs to 60 dollar bulbs and have to say the best I've used so far are the pheonix 14k.

I also have actinic supplement.

Just my thoughts.

lighting.jpg

Here is a pic of my lighting setup.

Aqua medic for sure is quality. It seems though you would be getting more light with the coral life. Im using coral life pendants with pc supplementation. see my gallery. My advice is to purchase the best you can afford and get the most for your money. one draw back on the coral life pc is bulb replacement needed every 6 to 8 months. t-5's longer. so you might want to do a bit more research. hope this helps.

to some degree your right, but the extra wattage is only in the suplamental lighting, which from what ive always been told, really isnt a big part in your total wattage per gallon cause its usually actinics. anyway let us know what you decide to get.
I dont know where your buying your stuff, but if you call champion lighting ask for gary, he can give you some great advice on which ficture to purchase, probly even give you a good deal on one.

:bounce: My experience with both i perfer using the PFO lighting system, the different style names of other vendors out their provides wide range of light. coralife is a litle over price for their units. PFO does its job. i have in one of my systems 3 HQI 400 watt @ 14k each running with 4 VHO 160 watt antinics:bounce:

Both PFO and Coralife make a good product, and a very affordable product, but theres no comparison to aqua medics. Something else to consider, Both I and another local reefer got a Killawatt meter and tested some different ballasts. The aqua medic 250 watt ballast was pulling 360 watts.:shock: the other fixture we checked was a Hamilton 250 watt. which didnt even pull 250 watts. These results came from 3 aqua medic ballasts and 2 hamilton ballasts so they seem to be accurate readings. now I dont know how that will affect the total output of the bulb, but I would guess its gonna increase the light output? anyway maybe thats why alot of people get better results with stoneys under aqua medics? just a thought!

great choice!! E-ballasts are awesome two! Something to consider, if your not happy with the AB bulbs that come with the fixture, The phoenix 14k bulbs are great, and if you shop around you can find them for $60 to $70. good luck and post back and let us know how you like it when it comes in.
bryan

hey, I have used these for several years and they work great. one will do a
24"x24" square, so depending on your demintions you may need 2 or 3. I didnt use the suction cups though. I pulled the suction cups off and sank screws into the canopy through those holes.(more permanent). they are a little pricey, and there are a lot of other choices out there, but this is the only one I can vouch for.

IceCap LED Flexible Moonlight - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store

Well...it arrived..
Does anybody have an owners manual to explain how to install the bulbs, hang the system from the ceiling - it came with two plastic wallboard anchors which seem VERY lightweight considering the weight of the system. I would have thought it would have had 3 steel mounting cables - oh well.

that is surprising, You may have to purchase the hanging kit seperate. I thought it would come with it. they do make a nice sleek hanging kit, it usues metal or stainless braided cables, and adjusting the height is very easy. call champion back, they should be able to help you, also ask gary about how to install the bulbs, I would have a hard time trying to explain it on a forum, But you do need to be carefull alot of people break the bulbs by forcing them, or by not getting them in far enough. let us know how it goes.

I talked to Champion...going to use molly bolts to hang from ceiling. When putting it together tongiht - two of the bulbs have cracks in the sides

Ask to speak with Gary... and as jhnrb mentioned let us know how things work out for you..

Which bulbs were cracked? PC, VHO, MH?

I called Champion this morning...they are shipping me two new bulbs. They were the MH bulbs. The T5 bulbs are running now. I sure hope the mollie bolts hold...or I want to be at the office! The tank looks REAL blue without the MH bulbs.

AquaMedic sent me new bulbs and the unit is all setup. I have 4 timers on the ballasts to I am now ready to figure out what the lighting durations should be.
I am thinking the T5 Atinics from 8am-11pm
left MH from 11am-5pm
center MH from 1pm-7pm
right MH from 3pm-9pm

I may move the MH an hour or two later on weekends when we are home
Does this sound like too much light?
The tank likes the new lights - several algea blooms...but that will die off and the money-plant is growing like crazy

Back