Lighting for 55 gallon tank.

saltwater sasquatch

Reefing newb
Hi everyone,
I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank that I have had set up for about 6 months now. Right now I have 50 lbs of live rock and 2 perc clowns, coral beauty angel, yellow tang, 3 yellow tail damsels, a serpant starfish, a sandsifting starfish, and about 7 turbo snails. I am looking into starting to add coral and I was wondering if the Nova Extreme HO T5 lighting fixture 48" 6x54 watt would be enough light for whatever type of coral I may want to put in the tank? I am not sure which corals I would like to put in but I would like to make sure that I have the lighting to pursue any route I may take.
Thanks
:bounce:

Thanks,
This is very good news as I did not want to spend a ton of money on lighting. Do you find that the 6x54 system heats your water a lot? If so I may have to get a chiller as well.

Better check that dimension on the 6 bulb, it might be just as deep front to back as your tank. I have the Current 4 bulb t-5 on my tank about 9 months now, I have all kinds of sps growing and encrusting and even a maxima clam that kept falling off his rock (because everyone says put them up high) on the sandbed and seems fine. Measure twice and purchase once!

Thanks,
I am glad the 6X54 is plenty as I did not want to spend a ton on lighting. Another thing do you find that the nova extrem stays pretty cool or would you reccomend a chiller.
Thanks

It doesn't heat up the water. I don't see why you would need a chiller - 99% of people don't. I live in Arizona and don't even have air conditioning and I don't need a chiller! I use those same lights (the 6 bulb Nova Extreme Pros) over my 90 gallon tank.

T5's run cooler then MH and even PC's.You should not need a chiller if you go with that fixture.Good luck,that will plenty of light for everything.

Better check that dimension on the 6 bulb, it might be just as deep front to back as your tank. I have the Current 4 bulb t-5 on my tank about 9 months now, I have all kinds of sps growing and encrusting and even a maxima clam that kept falling off his rock (because everyone says put them up high) on the sandbed and seems fine. Measure twice and purchase once!

Seabee i was thinking the same thing! cause my 55 gallon tank wouldnt fit a 6 bulb system

Good deal. I haven't bought one yet but that's the fixture I'm leaning towards. It's not too wide for your 55 is it?

Back