Lighting for a 55g

MissNano

Reefing newb
So i am going to pick up a 55g today, and it doesnt come with any lights.. what kinda of lighting would you suggest. Keep in mind, I dont need the Cadillac of lights, nor can i afford it. Something to do some soft corals, would be plenty for me..
Thanks guys :)

A 4 bulb T-5 fixture will be perfect for your tank. You'll be able to keep any softie, and lps coral, and even low light sps with that fixture. But make sure it has independent reflectors.

What does a 4 bulb or 6 bulb mean? Sorry, i have a Nano tank and the lighting came with it, so all lighting is foreign to me.

That's how many bulbs it has. You will want a T5 fixture that has either 4 T5 bulbs or 6 T5 bulbs.

Check out the Current Nova Extremes and Current Nova Extreme Pros.

well i know the light my mom has she is giving me, has 3 lights on each side. A white a blue and said then a pink then it does it again on the other side so 6 in all. However she said i need to replace the bulbs and maybe the intensity of the bulbs as well.

Do you know how wide the bulbs are? That will be what determines how good the lights are. T5s are skinny (so they put out a lot of light for their size).

i think it is a orbit and the whole fixture is 48 inches, it has like 4 different bulbs

ok so maybe it only has 4 bulbs.. lol.. this is what my mom wrote.

Last edited:
SunPaq Dual Daylight
6700ºK/10000ºK 65W,

and
SunPaq Dual Actinic
420/460nm 65W,

I think that is what i need.. is that good?

Back