lighting for nano

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
I swear, this site has spoiled me when it comes to responses!

I posted a question on another forum specializing in nano tanks, and 3 days later, lots of viewers, no responses. Not even an "I dunno"

Anyway, my 10 gallon nano will be just corals and maybe 1 small fish. I know the different lighting like mh, t5 vho, led....but for a 10 gallon that's not so deep, what is the weakest lighting I can get away with that will be suitable for corals?

It's not that I don't want to skimp, but I want to know so once I know the weakest acceptable lighting, then I can work up from there based on pricing/quality/brands, I admit to being incredibly stupid when it comes to the technical aspects of lighting. I've read the posts, read the articles, but they just confuse me.

I thought of getting mh, but wouldn't that really really make the water hot, even with fans? I considered just hanging it from the ceiling so I can control the proximity to the tank. I heard that while t5 vho's are good, I've also read there's still no comparison to mh.

T5s are better than MH, in my opinion. And I've had both types of lights. I'd definitely go with T5s if I were you. And you'd never have to upgrade -- you could keep anything you want under T5s.

All my corals grew faster and were nicer looking under T5s. And they are cheaper, and don't put off as much heat as MH.

Back