Lighting Help

Tropical Baker 17

Reefing newb
Since its tax season and I will be getting back a good chunk of change I figured now is as good of time as any to upgrade the lighting in my aquarium. I currently have a 55gal tank that is only running one R UV Super Actinic T12 bulb. Needless to say it isn't nearly enough light to do much of anything, my rock hasn't even colored up. I eventually want to keep corals but would really just like to get my rock to color up first and add a few macro algae.

I have been trying to look up everything I can about lighting but I think I am on information overload and I am sure I am not even close to knowing everything I should about the subject. So I am looking for a few good links to some articles that would clear up the basics with out throwing me into the fire. Also I cant decide on LED/T5/Metal Halide. Pros? Cons? I will have something in the range of $500 to spend but not much over since I will need to build a canopy as well to house the lighting unit. I figure this will run me another $100.

I am open to some DIY options. Some of the DIY stuff for LEDs has left me pretty confused since I am not sure what half the components are and what the specs mean in relation to the aquarium. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: I just read the Lighting 101 sticky. Don't know how I missed it before. With the replacement cost of T5 bulbs I would prefer to go the LED route but if it is out of my price range then I will go T5 or save up some more $

Last edited:
The pros for leds is everything besides initial set up. They cost more to start up but you wont need to replace bulbs ever. The effectiveness of leds is all the way to the end of the life on them unlike t5s. T5s are old technology(which i still have) and they do produce a fair amount of heat, money to run, and replacing bulbs. Go with leds!
I didnt know they still make t12! Lol

yeah the t12 selection is super limited haha. I've been doing some more research and reached about the same conclusion. I might as well invest the extra money now and upgrade the lighting so I can grow whatever in the future instead of having to upgrade again anyway.

I am looking at soderless LEDs from rapidled.com. Would anyone be able to confirm if this would be a good combo:
1 red
1 green
4 UV
14 cool white
16 royal blue

I will not be using lenses on the red, green, or UV and am planning on 60* lenses for the white and blue. I would mount them on a 6"x20" heatsink over the center of the tank. On the 4 corner lights I am also considering a 80* lens so the edges get a little more light. Is this necessary? Or should I leave them all at 60*? I will also be mounting the heatsink ~10in over my tank.

Last edited:
yeah the t12 selection is super limited haha. I've been doing some more research and reached about the same conclusion. I might as well invest the extra money now and upgrade the lighting so I can grow whatever in the future instead of having to upgrade again anyway.

I am looking at soderless LEDs from rapidled.com. Would anyone be able to confirm if this would be a good combo:
1 red
1 green
4 UV
14 cool white
16 royal blue

I will not be using lenses on the red, green, or UV and am planning on 60* lenses for the white and blue. I would mount them on a 6"x20" heatsink over the center of the tank. On the 4 corner lights I am also considering a 80* lens so the edges get a little more light. Is this necessary? Or should I leave them all at 60*? I will also be mounting the heatsink ~10in over my tank.

I have a custom Rapid set-up. I would recommend a 2 to 1 ratio on the blues and white. You honestly don't need green, the green on my Radions are turned off completely.

You can always call Rapid, talk to Mike or Vince, they are both great guys and will help talk you through anything you might need help with.

Hey Fastrd400, can you help me with my light issues. Newbie SW, Have been told I need 4 watts per gallon. My tank is a wall tank, that si 12'deep 3.325 inches wide and holds about 7 gallons. Currently I have a 28w Actinic and a 6700k these are both LO I Believe. The question is, is this sufficient for my reef tank Recently added a Pulsating Zania, its about 14 inches from light. LFS said the 6700k won't give me the specturm Par/Par that I need, yet when I look at a graph they look very similar. Do I need the 10000k and if I do won't it create a heat issue with so little water. There is good fllow. With 28 watts I have 4 watts per gallon.

Hey Fastrd400, can you help me with my light issues. Newbie SW, Have been told I need 4 watts per gallon. My tank is a wall tank, that si 12'deep 3.325 inches wide and holds about 7 gallons. Currently I have a 28w Actinic and a 6700k these are both LO I Believe. The question is, is this sufficient for my reef tank Recently added a Pulsating Zania, its about 14 inches from light. LFS said the 6700k won't give me the specturm Par/Par that I need, yet when I look at a graph they look very similar. Do I need the 10000k and if I do won't it create a heat issue with so little water. There is good fllow. With 28 watts I have 4 watts per gallon.

Check with Rapid, they have small affordable kits that are hell of easy to put together.

As far as the 6700k, I'd opt out for at least the 10k. However, you will be suited better with a nice little LED over it. If you are not comfortable with building it yourself, look for a used Kessil A150 in the Ocean Blue color, that would work very well.

Check with Rapid, they have small affordable kits that are hell of easy to put together.

As far as the 6700k, I'd opt out for at least the 10k. However, you will be suited better with a nice little LED over it. If you are not comfortable with building it yourself, look for a used Kessil A150 in the Ocean Blue color, that would work very well.
What about the heat factor with the 10000k? I also have these LED's attached to my Coarlife.Aquarium LED Lights: Current USA TrueLumen LED Lunar Lights

I run these in the AM and PM, to duplicate sunrise and set.

Back