lighting is driving me crazy !!!!! help !!!!

lacmedic

Reefing newb
Will a 250w ballast be okay with a 175w metal halide bulb ? The 250w is too much for my tank . Thanks guys, and gurls .

No it will not unfortunately...is it possible to raise the light fixture up from the water to maybe solve some of your issues?

i have a quick question too,if you were to use a 150w balast and 150w bulb,would it work in a 250 setup without changing wiring and clips?

I personally doubt it.

If you put a 250 in a 150 maybe but I wouldn't do that either.

The other way is like trying to put more watts through the bulb then it can handle ztzttztztzzztt

im not saying run a 250w balast on a 150 bulb,im saying if i used a 150 balast on a 150 bulb but use the same wiring and clip holder from the original 250 unit

im not saying run a 250w balast on a 150 bulb,im saying if i used a 150 balast on a 150 bulb but use the same wiring and clip holder from the original 250 unit

I don't see why not.

The wiring is probably the same for them all most likely as far as the gauge of the wire and if the 250 is larger than it will be no sweat to run the smaller 150.

If the wire is larger in the 250 is would be like having a small trickle of water coming out of a huge pipe. I mean that is extreme for an example but you get the point. It is made to handle the 250Watts so it can do the 150Watts.

Hello I am new to this forum and would like to say hi to all. That being said I am a professional card carring electrician. Yes you may use smaller ballasts and bulbs in larger fixtures, however some modifications will be necessary. Mostlikely the ballast will be smaller that the original. You need to make sure the ballast is completely secure DO NOT JUST LEVE IT LAY! this is very dangerous. New ballasts come with the wires attached. There will be many unused wires on the ballast. you must select the proper set of wires to use as mogul base ballasts are multi tap. Meaning they can accept 110, 208, 220, 277 and 480 volt inputs. Select the proper input voltage. Cut off the ends of unused wires so no exposed copper shows. Then wirenut the ends with high heat wirenuts at least 60 degree C. Then tape with 3m brand 33 electrical tape. DO NOT USE THE GARBAGE VINAL FROM WALMART. Roll up the unused wires and tuck them neatly in the fixture.
A note on HID lighting...Most all of it is mogul base. meaning any mogul base bulb will fit. You must match the ballast to the bulb. IE. pulse start, highpressure sodium, murcuery vapor, multi vapor, etc.

You should also match the wattage of the bulb and ballast. While a 400 watt bulb will not work on a smaller ballast a 175 bulb will burn on a 250 balast. I WOULD NOT RECOMEND IT THOUGH!
Hope this helps,
Jim

Back