Lighting options

jamesd523

Reefing newb
I know this question has been answered a number of times, but I need help finding some lights for my tank. It's a 36 gallon bowfront (30x15x21). Most of the fittings I find are 36 inches across, so I'm not sure if I'll have to get a pendant. Also, I'm debating on MH or T5's - still not sure. I know that everyone has their preference. Right now, my tank is far to new to get any cool corals, but I want to plan for the future.

Any ideas?

You can get 24 inch Retro kits if you go T5, FYI 24 inch bulbs are the standard for 30 inch tanks. Build a hood and put in your lights

Okay thanks. So I'll need to build a hood? Great... I can barely put together stuff from Ikea!

With the t5s, I'm assuming that I can get the moonlight and other specialty lighting as well? I need to do some shopping for a good light. Have any favorite brands or models I should check out?

You can do a 24'' retrofit kit for inside a canopy as Ryan suggested or buy a 24'' or 36'' fixture and hang it above the tank.I myself would prefer to hang a 36'' over a 24'' though.

Not knowing what your budget is for lighting.There are tons of 36'' fixtures out there.For the budget minded the Nova Pro would make a good choice.These are better but will cost more(going from least expensive to the most expensive).

Current Nova Pro
Tek by Sunlight Supply
Aquactinics
ATI

***you will only need 4 bulbs with individual reflectors to be unlimited with your size tank***

Thanks Reef.

I went to the LFS today and they recommended a 30" 2x65 Watt by Current USA for $175. I checked out the Nova Pro - looks good, just wondering what my limitations would be if I went for the cheaper option. If I'll need the Nova Pro for anemones and corals in the future, I'd rather just get that instead of having up upgrade in 9 months.

If you think you'd like an anemone,later on.The by all means go with the Nova Pros.
The fixture your LFS suggested is power compacts.That will limit you to soft corals and a few LPS.
Go with the Novas and you wont have to worry weather or not you have enough light for any corals you want.

Okay - Nova Pro it is. I'll keep you all posted when I get them.

One last thing - can I get a glass top for my tank with the Nova Pros? Is there a good place to find glass tops for bow front tanks? Ii don't want things jumping out...

Thanks again!

You would be better off with eggcrate or something similar. Eggcrate will block some light but glass tops limit the oxygenation of the tank and are a pain in the rear to keep clean

Definitely go with eggcrate over glass. You can find it at Home Depot or Lowe's in the lighting section. Like Ryan said, glass will cut down on the oxygen in your tank, will make your tank hotter and will get dirty really fast.

Back