Lighting Q.

AundriaM

Reefing newb
I am interested in upgrading my lighting and would love some advice. My water quality is great, and I would like to add some mushrooms to my tank, and possibly an anemone for my clown. I have the basic 2 bulb light strip now. What would be the easiest and least expensive lighting to add? My husband isn't as into this as I am so my budget is somewhat limited. I have read up on lighting, but don't know what the low, medium and high requirements for some corals and inverts translate to in lighting.

Thanks in advance!

For an anemonie you will need really good lights. Most likely MH's or a good T5 setup... What are your tank specs? How big? how long up?

Anenomie's have very high lighting req's, need very good water and a long established tank to survive...I am sure others will chime in soon..

Thanks - I should've known to give more details :D

The tank is a 55 gallon - the standard 4 ft long x 18.5 in deep by my measurement. I have a 2" Aragonite sand bed and the tank is FOWLR now. It has been established for 4 years and I have had it for a little under a year (it was set up and running in the house we bought). The water parameters are steady at ph 8.2, nitrite 0, nitrate between 5 - 10 ppm and Amonia 0. I have a Fluval Canister filter and a Corallife Super Skimmer, as well as 3 Maxijet 1200's. The fish include a Foxface Lo, Bluesided Fairy Wrasse, False Lemonpeel Dwarf Angel, Goldenhead Gobie, Maroon Clown, 2 Green Chromis and a Yellowfin Damsel. (and yes, I am planning to updgade the tank size for the Foxface shortly, but would still like to keep this tank and so am searching for lights for this one right now) Looking forward to your replies!

Welcome to the site Aundria,

What is in your budget?
For $200 and some change,you can get a Nova Extreme fixture.Its a 216w(4x54w)T5-HO lighting.It should allow you to keep almost anything.

If you want to be sure 100% of keeping even the highest light demanding corals,anemones and clams then get a fixture with individual reflectors.It makes the fixture more expensive but doubles the light.

If you can give me a budget in mine than I can link to some sites for you.

:cheerful: That would be amazing, thank you! I can get away with a $200 - $300 price range I think. I appreciate the links as I tend to get crosseyed with all of the initials that are involved in lighting - something I will get over as I learn more, I'm sure. Thanks again!

Anemones will need the most light you can possibly get, whereas mushrooms will get by just fine with low lighting. In your budget range, you should check out T5s (as metal halides will cost about twice as much). I kept a bubble tipped anemone under T5s just fine.

Back