Lighting question

Civicdemon

Go Big Or Go Home !
Hi i have a 125gl tank and im thinking of doing corals now. I came acros a deal for a 6 foot fixture that holds 4 36inch inch 96 watt PC bulbs. Would this be good for my tank to keep corals? ? He said the brand name on it is seaworld? ?? Im confused if he meant sealife. But yeah just wondering if this would work im thinking of getting some soft corals but i like hard corals better. Anyways just let me know what you think i can pick it up tomorrow for 150$the new. Or 100$ used

Last edited:
You need more than 4 T5 bulbs. 4 T5 bulbs are sufficient for a 55 gallon tank -- and even that's pushing it for SPS corals. You will need a lot more light for a 125. That's probably the biggest challenge for having a large reef tank -- lighting gets so much more expensive in larger tanks.

For T5s, you want to have at least 4 watts per gallon. The biggest T5 bulb you can get is 4' long, and 54 watts. For a 125 gallon tank, you want at least 500 watts of light (T5). This rule of thumb doesn't hold true for other types of lighting, but for T5s, that's like 10 bulbs over your tank. 4 bulbs isn't anywhere near that.

You may be better off looking into metal halide. Metal halide is much better for larger tanks. LEDs work too, but they are so much more expensive.

Also, don't shop for stuff like lighting at Petco. They don't carry saltwater stuff. That light you linked to is for freshwater. You'd need like 8 of those fixtures for your tank if you want reef lighting.

Start browsing saltwater specialty places for equipment:

ReefGeek > Aquarium Supplies for Marine, Reef, and Saltwater Aquariums
Aquarium Supplies, Fish Aquarium Tanks, Fish Supplies, Aquarium Lighting and more!
Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products

etc.

What is the length of your tank?

Last edited:
Back