Lighting Question

Slimkasey

Reefing newb
I want to add corals, my tank is established, and will be increasing all additives, to be ready to add, but righ now my lights suck.(Marineland Single light LED) not enough for corals.

I have a 30 Gal Bowfront, 24 inches wide 16 deep, and 30 Tall..

Any recommendations of lights to work?

a 4 bulb or 6 bulb t5 setup would work, or a single clamp on halide. I think you would need to shoot for 6 T5's but ive never used just t5's overs my setups. as far as increasing additives there is really no reason to especially if you arent testing for it, you could cause some problems dosing things that arent needed.

The additives I'm talking is Calcium, and getting the other tests to get ready, but I won't start that until a week before I'm ready to bring in corals, and have the lights.

IMO, additives are a waste of money for the majority of hobbyists. Regular weekly water changes will keep levels steady in most aquariums. So, don't dose unless needed. Dosing tends to spike the parameter then it lowers naturally. Usually, if the parameters are in an acceptable range, the more stable they are, the better. For example, water temps range from 78-82 degrees. Your live stock will suffer if you turn the heater on at 78 then turn it off at 82. Keeping the temp within a degree, no matter where in the range is preferable. The constant swing is harmful. I know it isn't an example of water chemistry, but its the first one that came to mind.

So if I wanted to start entry level corals, would mushrooms or leathers be a good start?, I would need an easy one, but that can show some growth.

If these are good is calcium needed?

Mushrooms and leathers are great beginner corals. They don't require pristine water conditions and should grow fairly quickly. Also, being soft corals, they don't use calcium in the water to build skeletons.

They are right. I have about 40 corals and the only thing I ever have to dose for is Alk and I do changes every 2 weeks.

I did notice my Mag and Cal were just at the lowest acceptable levels 1 week after the change but I am pretty sure if my Alk was right that would not matter or may read better. I thought I read that but yeah they are ok though and I have a lot of Calcium hogs in the tank.

Back