Lighting questions

So the metal halide will hotter in my room but the LEDs are better on power but I'd need two panels. Anything about the maxxspect razr?

Don't leave out the replacement MH bulb expense. ...wink...

Check out these too... I added one of the 36" 54watt's to my three 36" RapidLED strings... and am very pleased.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=25222&cmpid=03csegpl&ref=6111&subref=AA&CAWELAID=1517191945&catargetid=1570177209&cagpspn=pla

Last edited:
Ok I understand the peripheral costs of mh fixtures. I don't really care to spend the money for two ecotech radon fixtures but I have to suspend them a foot and a half above the tank from the ceiling or can I use those rods that you suspend them with will that give enough clearance?

Are you "handy enough" to rig a set-up so you can tilt the assembly to do inside tank work and hang them the recommended height?

Thinking.. drawer slides? ... hinges? you get the drift.

Probably but I'll be running an open top so I don't think it would be in the way if they are a foot above the tank. Also while I have your attention on my current tank I'm running a sump, I was wanting to add some cheato and a small clip on refugium light to help mitigate any nitrates, along with frequent water changes and spot feeding. The spot is about 8"x10"x8 will this work? It's after the trickle filter and before the skimmer and return pump. Will this make a difference or should I just do a ten gallon w clip on light and return pump?

Probably but I'll be running an open top so I don't think it would be in the way if they are a foot above the tank. Also while I have your attention on my current tank I'm running a sump, I was wanting to add some cheato and a small clip on refugium light to help mitigate any nitrates, along with frequent water changes and spot feeding. The spot is about 8"x10"x8 will this work? It's after the trickle filter and before the skimmer and return pump. Will this make a difference or should I just do a ten gallon w clip on light and return pump?

I'f you are indicating to me... I'm not expert enough to answer that question. I do run a light at night on my refuge... with intent to buffer any pH change per lights out and on.

But, I disqualified myself for another reason.. I'm running an algae scrubber at my refuge too. and that is a whole different light concept.

Are you using bioballs in your trickle filter? If so, you should replace them with live rock rubble.

And yes, the spot you have specified would be fine for some chaeto.

Back