Lighting upgrade

tzevchik

Reefing newb
I want to upgrade my lighting to 6 x 50w x 48" T5's. Anyone know a good source (good quality/low price) for diy parts? Thanks,

+1 Brian....Nova is third in line, ATI being second.....if u wanna go right at the top of the line T5 ATI fixture...G'mann is way over priced T5fixtures....retro fits are usually cheaper but you cant beat ATI reflectors...unreal IMO.....reefgeek.com, ask for George. He will convince u ATI is the way to go for T5 anything

Im always trying to explain, you get what u pay for...id rather save money longer and buy a bettter product than to make an instant buy and have it shit on me earlier and to have less growth...think before u buy...cheaper isnt always better...jus sayin..

+1 Brian....Nova is third in line, ATI being second.....if u wanna go right at the top of the line T5 ATI fixture...G'mann is way over priced T5fixtures....retro fits are usually cheaper but you cant beat ATI reflectors...unreal IMO.....reefgeek.com, ask for George. He will convince u ATI is the way to go for T5 anything

Im always trying to explain, you get what u pay for...id rather save money longer and buy a bettter product than to make an instant buy and have it shit on me earlier and to have less growth...think before u buy...cheaper isnt always better...jus sayin..

Cheaper is almost always NEVER better. It might be better for your wallet short term, but you usually end up spending more in the long run

The nova lights will let you keep anything you like including nems and clams, i highly doubt you could build a light that puts out enough light to keep the high light demanding animals like clams or nems.

Thanks, I was looking at the wrong bulb length. Do you know if I can just screw this fixture to my canopy as opposed to mounting it across the tank? The website did not indicate.

Last edited:
You'd need to check the dimensions of the fixture first and see if it will even fit inside the canopy (most of us don't use them). If it physically fits in there then I'm sure it could be mounted inside it (it might not be easy though).

If you're going to place the fixture in a canopy, make sure that there is a way for air to circulate so that the fixture stays cool, heat not having a way to escape the canopy is a great way to fry bulbs or ballasts

Don't know if I'll be saving anything though, by the time I buy the legs, bulbs and splash covers. What BL1 recommended included all these. So, which fixture is best? By the way, do we buy/sell/trade on this forum?

Back