Lighting

I run mine 11 hours a day. I have VHO lighting though and not high powered lights like you have. I run mine from 10A to 9 P. Just try to keep it as closer to nature as you can.

My lights are on for a total 12 hours a day.My T-5s come on at 10am,then turn off at 11:05am when the halides come on.Then the halides go off at 9pm and the T-5s come back on.Then the T-5s turn off at 10pm and the moon lights come on.

An important thing to remember when your setting up your lighting cycle is that it does actually have to coincide with the day light hours outside. Try to set your lighting schedule for times that you will be home and able to enjoy the tank. On my nano cube my lights don't come on till 3pm and shut off at 11pm, so that I can watch my tank after I get home from work.

Hmmm...I run 10 hours max (420nm for 2 hours, 14000K for 6 hours and 420nm for 2hours. I have the moon lights run a few hours before and after). I would think anything more than that could be advantageous for algae growth. My LFS recommends 8 hours and I have to believe them since their coral systems and show tanks are absolutey insane. However, if it ain't broke don't fix it. On another note since I changed to this lighting scheme a year ago (from 12 hours and halides on the whole time) my coral bandeds haven't had babies. They cranked them out every 3 months for 2 years. Maybe the male has ED.

Back