Lights and the top of the tank....

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
Ok, I've got my lights picked out. They sit a few inches above the tank and I've decided to cut a new top to fit over the tank and under the lights. I have taught stained glass before and I own a glass saw. I know I can cut a top to my aquarium out of glass that will custom fit around my hang on the back filter and prism skimmer. Do I want that? What about this "gas exchange" that I keep hearing about? Should it be a certain type of glass? Plexi-glass? Thanks for any help!

Catherine

No glass top. If you really want or need a top, make it out of egg crate lighting diffuser. You can end up with low pH issues with a glass top over a saltwater tank.

How bout a link to the lights you picked?
Capts right.Glass tops and reef tanks dont mix to good.Not only will it effect your PH and oxygenation,but it'll restrict your lights and allow the water to hold heat.All of which are bad for your tank.

I have not ordered them! Hey, thanks for the link to MARS! There is a local branch LARK for my area! Can't wait for a meeting! I might try to get to the Madison swap in February but I don't have anything to trade.

Catherine

yeah, but the nova extremes are not a BAD light, I have one on my 46, and I have all sorts of stuff under it, a crocea clam, some sps. If you can find a used tek for around the same price as a new nova, you would be better off though. I cheaped out on my first tank (within reason) and I don't regret it. I cheaped out on my second, with the exception of lighting

I had the 48" 4-bulb unit that you linked to over my old 55. I was able to keep anything I wanted. Yes, the more expensive lights with individual reflectors are better, of course, but not absolutely necessary.

I also am of the opinion that you shouldn't have glass or plastic tops on your tank. You can use eggcrate (from the lighting section of the hardware store) to keep most jumpers in the tank, and that allows for good light penetration and oxygenation, and heat dispersal. If you have lids, your water will heat up pretty quickly and less gas exchange will occur.

Back