lights on for how long?

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
Another post got me thinking. Now that I have alot of coral, how long should my lights be on? I am only starting actinics at 11am, full lights at noon, full light off around 7:30pm and lights out at 8. Enough? I'm not so sure now that I have a crocea too.

I am the most inconsistent light person ever. My daily schedule is different each day so it makes if very hard. I really need to get timers.

9 hours (like you have) is enough for coral. Most reef tanks keep their lights on for 8 to 12 hours a day.

Alto, I finally motivated myself to buy timers last month. Only because I started to have to go out of town a lot, and didn't want to have to get someone to come over twice a day to turn on and off lights. I spent $80 at Lowe's (Dustin...), and I have no idea why I put it off for this long. Definitely well worth it.

Ours are on timers! Best thing ever! We run lights a total of 10 hours a day (1 hour at the beginning and end on just actinics) and 8 hours for the normal light.

When we had a really bad algae outbreak we moved down to 6 hours a day full light, but we did not have a lot of coral back then.

My light has a remote control. Like your TV or DVD player.

DISPLAY TANK
moonlights OFF at 6:00am
Actinics ON at 6:30am
10K ON at 8:00am
10K OFF at 8:00pm
Actinic OFF at 9:30pm
Moonlights ON at 10:30pm

REFUGIUM
10K ON at 8:00pm
10K OFF at 8:00am

I never touch my lights. They are all set. They come on at the same time and go off at the same time every day. I don't bother to adjust them for daylight savings. Hell, I HATE daylight savings. Screws up my sleeping habits 2 times a year. :frustrat: Wake up an hour earlier in the fall and an hour later in the summer? Why would I do that to my corals? I just leave the lights set where they are.

If you don't have timers, get them.

Biff what timers did you get. I bought a timer a while ago for my freshwater and figured out that it was only for 2 prong plugs and not the 3 prong.

HA,I got you beat Biff.I got a total of 24 bucks in my timers.Got at wally world for 12 bucks a piece.
BTW,My lights run for 12 hours a day total with 10,000Ks being on 4 hours.

Well, my lights have a lot more plugs than your guys', so I need more timers. I had to buy 4 timers total, one for the fans, one for the actinics, and two for the 4 MH bulbs. My lights have 4 plugs (and I got three pronged heavy duty timers at Lowe's).

Holly Crap RCPilot....I just read your signature line.
How do you find time for your reef with all the "HOMOSEXUAL NECROPHILIA" going on?

YIKES!

8 hours for me
Actnics on at 4pm
Halides on at 6 pm
Halides off at 10 pm
Actnics off at midnight
No algae other than coralline

I bought three timers from the 2docs,$10 each.They have duo 3 prong outlets so two of the powerheads are shut off with the lights.

12 hours a day.

I keep my light on for 12 hours a day. Seeing I'll be going to visit family all next week I'll cut them down to 9.

Back