Lights out!

JustinStone87

Reefing newb
As manny of you know hurricanes have been approaching parts of the united states. I myself was wondering of any effective ways of coping with (no power syndrome) or No power. Is there any tricks i should know about, or any battery methods?

Some have backup generators. Others get battery back ups that last a few hours. It really depends on what your willing to pay.

Power outages spell disaster for saltwater tanks. A reef tank can safely go without lights for several days, so that's not so much of an issue, but water circulation is. The most important thing to have backup for are your powerheads and pumps. The water needs to keep moving. A stagnant tank can start killing livestock after just a few hours due to a lack of oxygen. Either a battery back up or a back up generator are the options.

Justin,

If you want to drop some bucks......
ECOTECH MARINE

A bit overkill for your 14g, but it is a solution.
You could go with a model MP20 (72 +/- hours with their battery backup).
Considering a good generator will cost you about the same.....
About $250 for the powerhead & $150 for the backup battery.

I paid about $450 for my gas powered generator.

Battery back ups will run out of juice after a while.But a good generator with a couple of full 5 gallon gas jugs will last a couple of weeks.

A gas generator is really the only option on large systems.

A small backup battery for computers will work for small tanks.A battery operated air pump will work okay for nanos as long as the temperature doesn't get to warm or cold.

You can get very small honda generators that will power a few items for relatively cheap. less than 200 bucks.

Back